1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Tilt-Back Cabs or Bass Monitors

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Okemos, MI
    I know that a few companies make a few of these type of tilt back cabs and/or bass cabs that function more as monitors aiming up towards the head than the feet...what are your experiences and/or favorites?

2. Were I picking a cab based on it's "tilt back" capacity, I would pick either an NL-210 or a Wizzy from EA. Warm yet articulate. When I get the money for a new rig they will be on the list to check out. I'm not aware of a tilt back feature for the Bergs and Epifanis that are also on that list. If I decided that an HT112 & EX112, or a UL310 were for me, I could sure put a 1 foot piece of 2x4 under the front of the cab and be very happy.

3. Hey, I haven't used a tilted cab or monitor for bass, but I just ordered
    one of these: http://ampwedge.com/

I'm going to actually use it under my rack and leave my cab flat
    on the floor. I just got a Schroeder 1210Light this past weekend.
    I've never FELT my bass playing like I did this weekend. I could
    hear it really well even though it was firing out at my ankles.

I kicked around the idea of a monitor/tilted type of cab, but now
    that I've got the Schro, it's all over.

I hope this isn't too off topic, I just thought that something like
    the ampwedge could maybe give you a similar effect without
    having to buy any certain make/model of cabinet.

Of course, just my obligatory 2 cents worth....

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

It's so easy to just screw a 'spring loaded tilt back handle' on the bottom of any small cab (like the ones that come standard on some of the small EA cabs). Just place the handle so that it pulls out toward the front of the cab, and position it in the center from right to left but toward the front (front to back... duh!).

It works great, still allows the much needed floor coupling to get low end from a small cab out in the room, and allows you the option of tilt vs. not without carrying an extra piece of gear, like the slant thing above.

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I too never felt the need to tilt up my 1210 or 1212 to hear, even when right on top of it, versus other small '210 sized' cabs.

6. But first you have to check where the weight is in your cab. I had a 15 inch combo where the magnet weight was so far back, it needed a back support, not a front lifting wedge.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Wow.. that must have been a very big speaker in a very small cab!:eek:

The other thing is that when you put the spring loaded handle on the bottom of the cab, you will need to also install small rubber feet on the cab, since the profile of the handle is 'taller' than the space the small, plastic corners installed on most cabs provide between the floor and the bottom of the cab. I actually install those small rubber feet on any small cab that doesn't have them... seems to reduce vibration, etc. versus just having the cab sit on those hard plastic corners.

8. Ampeg makes a bass wedge-cab, the BXT210M. I tried one when a local shop had it on consignment and it was a good sounding cab and seemed to be voiced about perfectly for the application. I wish I had picked it up because it would make an ideal monitor for my drummer.

9. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    The Line 6 LD 150 (being released this week), is a tilt back design. I haven't heard it in person, but a good friend of mine (and fellow bassist) is a Sales Engineer at Sweetwater and has heard it live. He has nothing but positives to say about it...except that it weighs 52 lbs.

10. This is new:

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=BRX112Neo&CID=BRX

From my experience with the new Carvin bass stuff, this looks promising. I dunno why they couldn't manage to put up some real specs, but AFAIK the amp portion is basically the B800, with 300 W @ 8 ohms, 500 @ 4, and 800 @ 2. Also dunno whether the built-in speaker is 8 ohms or 4.

11. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    I have two Gallien-Krueger 410RBH's and they sound very good. Packs much punch and power. I use it mostly to play Rock/Pop.

12. It was a Fender BXR 100. The speaker is a close relative of an Eminence Beta 15, but the cab was only 12-13 inches deep. I built a deckchair type frame for it that could fold flat for transport.

13. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Eden bass wedge, which also has that cutting Eden voice that you can hear well without projecting much low bass into the room. Seems like a good option.

I've gigged with a 210XLT kicked back and it works really well in situations with good PA support.

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
  15. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    The Mesa 2x10 wedge cabs are nice. I played a Buster Bass Wedge combo a few years ago and it sounded great.

16. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    SWR made the Bass Monitor !2 = Not much bottom, good lowmids, horn w/ level control. Not a great stand alone cab, but pairs well with a big ben 18. My guitarist gigs this cab with a beritone guitar rig.

17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    That Markbass thing looks pretty nifty. The link doesn't work for me though.

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Go to www.markbass.it to the products section.

19. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    The new Bassman 150's.

20. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I've got a 210MBX, excellent bass monitor. For a short time I owned both it and a 210XLT (same speakers/crossover, just a different shape box) and they sounded almost identical save for the very low end response (that I'm able to EQ into the wedge for the most part).

The XLT was a better sounding cab (and I percieved it to be a little louder), but when I decided I could only keep one of the two, I kept the wedge (mainly because it's nearly the same cab, 20 lbs lighter, and more versatile). I use it as a stand-alone cab quite often.