Best Time of Year To Do Bass Setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by WillPlay4Food, Aug 8, 2002.

1. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    OK, this is the deal.

I've had my bass for a couple of months now. In the last two to three weeks, the humidity has shot through the roof. Now when I finger my G string (on my bass, you sick little monkey! :p ), I get a rattle.

I figure the bow on the neck is changing, since the rattle wasn't there (as far as I can recall) before last week. If I get a setup done, how long will it be before it has to be setup again? When / how often do you guys and gals get your bass setup?

I have one free setup from where I bought the bass, and I plan on being there so I can (try to) learn how to do a setup myself.

What time of year have you found a setup lasts the longest?

Thanks for all your help.
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I adjust mine whenever needed... and more then yearly. If you're looking for a schedule, then spring and fall would be my guess
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    In June and November.
  4. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it.

I got my Schecter from East Coast Music Mall, and they seemed like they knew what they were doing.

As I mentioned in my first post, I have one free setup; I just didn't want to have it done soon if it was a "bad" time of year to have it done. They also gave me free truss rod adjustments for life.

I didn't know that you needed to adjust the truss when you changed string gauges though, I knew the intonation would have to be redone.

I feel comfortable with doing intonation or cleaning work. I don't think I'm ready to fiddle with the truss rod though. I'm afraid I would ruin my bass, but I guess I'll have to get over that at some point!
  5. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

Hey cool! I'd be into a gathering of the low end also.

Actually, Hartford stands for deer crossing (or so I'm told), guess that's where all the deer headed west. :)

Last time I was there (when I picked up my bass), there was a biker looking guy waiting (for me) to close up the shop. Maybe he is the same guy you are thinking of? He seemed like he was the owner or head boss at least.

I worked with a guy named Gary, and he said the setup person would work with me so I could get the bass setup to my exact specifications. I inferred he meant that I would be working with the setup guy as he did the setup.

I definitely wouldn't mind hooking up with you or other players at some point. I'm totally new to the world of bass (playing for 4 months now), and would love to meet and hang out with other players.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That is one of the most intelligent statements I've heard on any discussion board, (plus, learning how to do it yourself is what I always recommend! ;) ). For one thing, the luthier/tech is going to set it up where they, NOT YOU think is best.

You should learn how to do it, so my suggestion is not to worry about the weather. You can bitch about it but you can't control it. The more times you try it, the better you get at it, (reminds me of some other things!).

Weather certainly affects it but so does how well the wood is dried, the wood itself (thick? laminated?, stabilizer rods?, oily?, et al), the stress put on the instrument by your gauge of strings, whether you're a slugger, and other factors.
  7. I just reset up all of my basses last week and now the colder weather may mean more changes

I am up for a CT TB'ers meeting. I live in Milford
  8. The setup guy at East Coast is great. But make an appointment , He can get very busy, Be prepared to spend some time with him.
  9. Milford Music is great. Mike and those guys have helped me with all kinds of great stuff.