Best Time To Buy?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by VicDamone, Jan 29, 2001.

1. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    If there's anyone out there in the business? When is the best time of the year a store is more likely to wheel and deal?
    When do stores get their major shipments of product (basses) for the year? Or does it just trickel in?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Based on my experience, it depends on time of year as well as size of dealer. Dealers with large inventories (like Guitar Centers), and just plain large, high volume dealers, buying at the end of the year is the best time. Whatever is setting in their inventory on Jan. 1, they have to pay tax on in the US, particularly if they have locations in several states. Also, if they look like they aren't going to meet their sales projections for the year, they can get flexible. Many small dealers, dealers with small inventories don't really seem to care how long the stuff sets around.

I also see some action among the big boys in the beginning of the year. Those with business based on volume and low mark-up, tend to want to get the year off with a bang because their business plan says they will have x amount of incremental growth.

As for getting stuff in, that is often related to who they represent as an authorized dealer and when the makes they represent come out with the latest, greatest, can't live without it, gear. For example, one of the local stores just got in Ashdowns because they are getting a lot of attention in many markets and is dissing SWR's in his ads. Plus, the last NAMM show gets them all hot to trot for new gear.

Those are just generalizations and based on what I've gleaned from experience & friends who worked at St. Louis Music, the Ampeg big dog. An isolated good sale can pop up at any time, like when a dealer is calling it quits.

[Edited by rickbass1 on 01-31-2001 at 06:29 PM]
  3. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Tomorrow is the last day of GC's "Inventory Overload" sale.On 2 items I purchased,a digital recorder and a bass,I spent $1436 less than I would have if I'd bought them at GC's every day price(not list.)