Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Tonal Variety

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grant22, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Grant22

Grant22 Groovin' the gospel

Oct 29, 2005
    Winter Garden FL
    I know this will be purely subjective, but I was wondering what basses you guys think have the greatest variety of tones.

Grant

2. G&L L-2000:)

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I saw a pic of a bass on here a while back with MM, J, P pickups...it was just missing soapbars.

I think that'd win the award....

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Musicman Bongo

5. Manol

Manol Too Sexy To Be Left Handed.

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Anything with a P/J setup is pretty versatile.

I recommend the Fender P-Bass Special MIM.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yep, I was gonna say that.

Pretty much anything with humbuckers, preferably coil tappable, and an active EQ IMO.

7. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I'd have to say an Alembic Series instrument or a Fodera with a Mike Pope preamp would have to be up there.

Go Seahawks!!!!

Bones

8. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

+1 Depending on the configuration you buy. It has a 4-band EQ standard and it's available with ...

* 1 Humbucker
    * 1 Humbucker & 1 Single coil
    * 2 Humbuckers
    * 2 Humbuckers & 1 Piezo

... Mine is the Double buck w/Piezo. I can't think of a tone I can't get out of this thing.

The G&L's are also right up there for tonal variety.

A sleeper is the Ibanez Roadgear -- crazy pickup switching options! (Check this out)

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Skjold, all the way.

10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    G&L definetely, although a J is pretty versatile, and the variax bass was built for versatility, so although ive never played one i could understand them being quite versatile.

11. DojoMaster

DojoMaster MusicDojo.com

Aug 3, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    The F Basses have a tremendous amount of tonal variety. They have two pickups, which can be single or double coil...volume/volume like a traditional jazz, plus bass, mid, and treble. In addition, a passive/active switch, plus a master tone that works both in active and passive mode. You can get full funk slap, the Jaco thing, the deep dub thing, whatever you want. The only thing it can't do seemingly is the bridge pickup StingRay thing, but that's why I have one of those, too! ;-) Seriously, other than a fretless, those two basses are all I need. I use the F for lots of gigs and recordings...it's my main bass for just overall practice, and in my jazz band. The StingRay 5 is for my rock/pop band to get that extra cut live that I need since I go direct. I haven't worked with the F long enough to find that slice the StingRay provides.

12. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    BC Rich NJ series

13. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    My Vigier Arpege has so many tones it's mind boggling. It gives you 11 preset ROM tones which you can alter with a pickup blend, tone pot for the bridge pickup and an in/out of phase. You can even bypass them if you like. There's so many tones available in this instrument it'll drive you crazy deciding which ones you like. The possibilities are endless.

Slug

14. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    that roadgear seems like a versatility machine.

P/J is naturally very versatile.

and single MusicMan Humbuckers IMO are the most un versatile. i just end up with the same loud, brash, and harsh sound.

eqs help for versatility, but typically just as much as a good amp will.

i'm a big passive fan. do as much as you can passive on the bass. leave the active stuff for the amp.

15. Another vote for any bass with a P/J pickup set.

16. tangobass

tangobass

Jan 15, 2005
    Line 6 variax bass or fender roscoe beck

17. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    g&l asat/L 2000- same electronics.

18. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Worcester, ma
    Product Manager, Akai Professional
    I think my Musicman Sabre is probably the most versitile for usable tones.

I used to own a wal. that was a badass for variety, but that thing could make sounds that basses just shouldnt make.

19. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    i've tried a Yamaha Nathan East 5 and Whoa!
    it offer a lot of possibilities.. if only it was 35 inch scale!:rollno: look for the spec on the yamaha web site...

20. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Another vote for MusicMan Bongo with two humbuckers and piezo bridge.