1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Tone and Set up for Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by JPMcGuire, May 2, 2015.

1. JPMcGuire

JPMcGuire Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    Hi all. I have been learning jazz for the past year and got my first regular jazz gigs several months ago. I have an upton brescian hybrid with spiro core mittel and use a realist pickup. The strings are several years old. It's the only upright bass I've ever had/played regularly. Just curious how this type of bass spec compares for tone, etc. for jazz compared to fully carved/upright basses or plywood?

The bass is made out of poplar. Is that Italian poplar used by upton? Different than maple in tone? Also the neck is English sycamore. Does this add to the tone?

Thanks all in advance for any feedback! image.

salcott likes this.
  2. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Nice bass - congrats on the gigs.
    You've got a pretty solid, standard rig for jazz - making sure it's set up properly, so you don't hurt yourself playing it, is step one. Other than that I wouldn't sweat the details - they can get pretty distracting from making music pretty quickly. :)

salcott and thabassmon like this.
  3. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've heard lots of great players make average basses sound great. Likewise I've heard some mediocre players make some incredible basses sound just OK at best. If you like your bass, just play it and strive to be the best you can be. This is far more important than the brand or type of construction or wood used.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  4. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    You've already got it going on gear wise man. Nice bass.
    Just get the action height to where you find it most comfy and done.

5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Poplar, from what I understand, may create a darker tone than maple. All aspects of your bass contribute to its sound.
    If you're interested in comparing its sound to other basses, you have be hands on. There may be a ply or fully carved
    or another hybrid out there that may give you "more" of what you like than you may be getting from your current bass. You can't know
    until you play lots of basses and find the next winner.

I'm sure your bass sounds fine. It's the music that comes out of it that really counts!

Winoman and james condino like this.