Best tone for slap technique

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Warwick Henkie, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Help wanted.

I'm play for a very long time now but i'm a real slapfool. Is there an effect available what can produce an original slap sound? If it exists my problems are solve forever.
    Please help me out.

Keet it LOW:bassist: :bassist:
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The best way to get a slap tone is to slap.:rolleyes:

It helps to use more of your neck pickup, scoop the mids a little, and use a pinch of compression. It should be said that I do none of these things when I am slapping. Do what you feel sounds best.
  3. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I use the boss 7 band eq to set the tone for slap..:D
  4. I've got a Hartke 3500 with a 10 band eq.
    What must be the contour to get a slpasound without the use of the slap technique?

Keep it LOW:bassist: :bassist:
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    generally you'd boost the low end (i.e. your bass in 30-60hz range), add some treble and then cut some midrange (I usually do something in the 650-800hz range)

There's so much more that comes into the whole picture - technique, pickup selection etc but eq is very important too.

edit: and obviously there's no way you can get the slap sound without using your thumb. The eq is only the icing on the cake
  6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I think you might struggle do find a contour that does that! There's quite lot of basic slap instruction on the net, but fundamentally all you do is strike the lower strings with your thumb and pluck the higher strings with your index (or middle) finger so that they slap against the frets. Start slowly with some lines you can already play fingerstyle and just work at it. It'll make sense after a while.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    practice, practice, practice ... you can't eq your way into slap, the attack from your thumb is totally different from that of your fingers or pick.
  8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    "Is there an effect available what can produce an original slap sound?"

The closest thing I can think of is a lesson.
  9. I think it's fairly obvious the Dutch dude means "slap tone" fellahs...give him a break eh?
    Scooped mids, tight compression...that will get you there in a jiffy. Chorus is sometimes fun with slap but that ones a slippery slope, beware!
  10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Slap tone? What the heck is that? Never heard of it.

Slap is a technique, not a tone.
  11. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    It's all about technique... you have it, or you don't, although practising can give some sort of relieve.

Try to listen very well to records and very critically to yourself. Only then you will learn how to slap. And DO NOT start to think you need muc power, it's a very delicate way of playing, when you do it right.
  12. I want a pedal that will play scales and arpeggios for me.
  13. fixed the title. Moved to Misc. also.
  14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    As in Larry Graham, Louis Johnson, George Porter Jr, Etc?

That would be Flatwound strings on a fender P or J... played with a WHOLE LOT of attitude :bassist:
    no effects needed