Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Toronto-area bass shop

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AndrewShirley, Sep 15, 2005.

1. ?? I'm looking for a shop in the Toronto, Ontario (north-side of Toronto if possible) with great pickings for a bass player. Most of the shops I've visited carry low-end stuff or have a small selection. In addition to a good selection of basses and cabs, I'm looking for a selection of self-learning material.

Thanks for all your input!

- Andrew

2. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Club Bass
    www.clubbass.ca
    45 Ossington Ave.
    Toronto, ON
    416-538-1685

I've never been there, but heard its good. Higher end bass stuff only.

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    +1 for Club Bass...

L&M Bloor and Steve's also have excellent selections.

4. I've never heard of Club Bass. Thanks for the heads up - I'll be checking it out soon!

L&M Bloor is decent too. Make sure you talk to someone who is on the bass side though - lots of them are guitar centric which ain't a bad thing, but some of them don't know the answers to the questions you might have. Lots of Fenders last time I was there. Yorkville stuff too since they are pretty well affiliated. Sometimes the used stuff ain't too bad either if that's what you're into.

5. Ahh yes. L&M Bloor... my arch nemesis :) Twice they let me walk out on a large deal because they refused to budge on price. Both times I was able to secure a lower price without even mentioning L&M's. The 1st time I ended up at Steve's, the second time I ended up at the Arts in Newmarket, who came in quite a bit less than L&M - on first quote! I do love L&M's selection in the recording department though!

Looking forward to checking out Club Bass, thanks for that! I had no idea they existed.

- Andrew

6. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I had a similar experience at L&M in Ottawa recently...they have a store policy to meet any competitors price...I got the quote from Steve's (who I hate dealing with), brought it to L&M and they wouldn't match it. $1400 item, and they wouldn't come down $70. Idiots...they lose a customer willing to pay cash on the spot.

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Check your PM...there's a few reasons they may not have budged, but I'd like to talk with you about it privately, thanks!

8. Ive always digged Steves. I had nothing but pleasurable experiences there. They always treated me with alot of respect and werent a bunch of know-it-alls. Pretty down to earth folks.

At least that is whenever i went in. Im sure not everyone has the same good dealings.
    I also never really like L&M. I was always uncomfortable there.

9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Steve actually lives near me. Although I find that Steve's is too expensive, and the salesmen aren't that good.

10. I know what you mean about L&M. As for Steve's I used to share your opinion. But as of late, I have nothing good to say about them at all. I refuse to shop there anymore. :scowl:

11. I can't let this conversation go any farther without mentionning Songbird... sure it doesn't have a massive selection as it's mostly used gear, but if you're into vintage stuff they usually have a few gems in there. As a bonus, it's close enough to Steve's that you could walk from one to the other and kill 2 birds with one stone.

Steve's seemed to have a respectable selection last time I was in the one in Toronto, but I didn't like the layout - everything was really cramped once a few people got in there.

12. I do find Steve's too cramped. Meh. Do they still have the top 3 songs that you're not allowed to play in the Acoustic Guitar room? ;)

I've been to Songbird - a friend of mine got a really good deal on a MIM Strat quite a few years back. I'll have to stop in next time I'm on Queen.

I was just at L&M's on Steeles (near Keele) on the weekend, they seemed pretty cool to deal with. I felt bad for the sales guys, they were running around trying to serve everyone - and they were swamped! I like their location since I can avoid going downtown.

- A

13. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Songbird is good. When I need a new item, and I know what I want and won't have to rely on the lack of knowledge among the sales staff, I goto Steve's. When I don't know something, need to discuss things, and want a used item, its always Songbird. Their repair guy rocks.

14. That's odd. Maybe it was just the particular salesman you were dealing with. I've bought gear that cost way less than $1400 and they lowered the price to match a competitor.

I remember when Steve's was king in this town. At least now with L&M we have an alternative. The problem is that neither of those stores has the really cool stuff you see on Talkbass. No Laklands, no Sadowskys, no Ken Smiths, no Roscoes, etc.
    I've never seen any Canadian-made boutique axes like F Bass or Dingwall either. I wound up buying my Dingwall from Bass Central in Florida.

15. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    The L&M on Bloor in Toronto carries Smiths and they consistently have at least, say, two of them. If you were serious about trying one I'd be surprised if they couldn't send one to the Ottawa store for you to try. Check out Club Bass' website if you want to see some Sadowskys (mostly Metros these days).