1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Tracking Sub Octave Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MAGINUM, Mar 23, 2015.

1. MAGINUM

MAGINUM

Mar 23, 2015
    I'm wanting to run my guitar to a bass rig using an octave pedal and was wondering which pedal will track notes the best, especially in drop tunings.

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Most octave pedals are made to work with guitar and just so happen to work with bass. You'll be fine using any of them, so your choice comes down to what tone you want (analog or digital).

I think the (Bass) Whammy has the best tracking of the few octaves I've tried.

Driven Crane likes this.
  3. Decide which tones you want > Analog or Digital.

If Analog, my fave is the TWA Great Divide and Boss Oc-2.
    If digital, the Pog/Pog2/MicroPog have it covered well.

4. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I'd agree that tracking isn't really a big issue. And tracking problems are pretty much the same across different models. Some say the octaver they prefer tracks better than the others but in my experience any difference is negligible.

Digital pitch shifters will go lower than analogue octavers but they introduce latency and the output is often thin and will need more processing to beef it up. Analogue octavers sound massive but they don't sound like a guitar.

thabassmon likes this.
  5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Agreed. Personally I think the Boss OC-2 tracks the best among analog octavers but the differences in tracking (assuming good technique) are really minor and only detectable on very close listen. Digital octavers are a whole 'nother animal with their own advantages and drawbacks.

6. MAGINUM

MAGINUM

Mar 23, 2015
    Hey guys! Thanks for the feedback, I tried a few different things but so far the OC-3 has been the best for me, I'm using it with a bass overdrive to counter the digital sound a bit. I still wouldn't mind trying an OC-2 at some point if I can get my hands on one.

7. mxr bass octave deluxe has great tracking for an analog