Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Traditional Tropical Latin CD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The other day we had a thread going here about what are you listening to now or something similar. I replied that in my car stereo I had Carlos Vives "Dejeme Entrar."

Well, lo and behold! Carlos Vives' CD won a Grammy for "Best Traditional Tropical latin CD." He had some pretty stiff competition, too. Other nominees in the same category were Compay Segundo, Ruben Gonzales, Los Super Seven, and Orquestra Aragon.

By the way, didn't one of our TalkBass members play a concert with Los Super Seven? Was it Gard?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I have Los Super Seven's "Canto." Excellente! The new Raul Malo CD isn't bad either (that guy can really belt, but it probably isn't "Tropical Latin," whatever that is), and the Cachaito album is pretty good.

Charlie Haden's latest "Nocturne," is nothing but Cuban ballads with Gonzalo Rubalcaba, who puts the fireworks on hold for this one. It's well played, but very subdued.