1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Tremolo in the market. Price/tone/quality.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Driven Crane, Dec 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    I did have EBS Tremolo in past, it was good but not enough to control by knobs and i did have a volume drop in filter mode. For now i have traded some of my pedals for Empress Tremolo v.1. So i am waiting...
    I am interested about more information. Tremolo is a great effect. I have got it in Strymon Mobius but i believe that i do need it as a dedicated pedal for some reasons.
    So if someone tell more it would be great!

2. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    My favorite will always be the Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper Trem. They made 3 versions of them, but very limited amount of each. They were $400 new and did a lot of different things. You could even trace your own wave forms with the knobs and save them. A guy in a band I liked had one and did a cool demo video of it and that's how I learned of the pedal.

Driven Crane likes this.
  3. Blaargh

Blaargh

Apr 4, 2016
    Personal favourite for me is the Moog MF102 Ring Mod, although they're a little pricey new. it's a little hard to use, but you'll always be finding new things to do with it. Besides, I'm a sucker for that old school 70's synth Moog vibe, they're sexy pedals.

Slightly more standard and easy to use is the Earthquaker Devices Hummingbird. Sounds lovely, small footprint, reasonable price. If I used trem enough to want it actually on my board, that's what I'd go for.

4. +1 for the MF102
    Absolutely KILLER module
    With an expression pedal (or MP201 if you can source one) the things you can do with it go from the sublime to the ridiculous
    Can't recommend it enough, like all Foogers
    I warn you now though, Foogers are VERY addictive
    You have been warned

Tourniquet Man likes this.
  5. Tourniquet Man

Tourniquet Man

Jun 12, 2015
    Mf-102!

ukedealer likes this.
  6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Spaceman Voyager I for me. FABULOUS tremolo.

7. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Depending on how you define "the market" ...contact producer/engineer Lou Giordano and ask if he can build another one of his Vacuum Electronics tremolo pedals like the one he built for Roger Miller circa 1982. Pretty sure it never went into commercial production; but I got to play with a proto-type and it was the most astonishingly cool tremolo I'd ever heard...or perhaps have heard since. iirc Lou designed the thing to have an 85db swing between duty cycles, so it wasn't so much amplitude modulation as it was a rapid shifting between binary states of On and Off.

8. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    OK> Empess v.1 VS Diamond. Which one would be better for me?

9. bassbassbass12345

bassbassbass12345 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Pretty vague question. What are your needs?

10. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    Rhythmic tremolo - it seems i need that.

11. sing-modulator

sing-modulator

Nov 23, 2014
    IL
    I have a moog 102 and i wish there was a way to shape the volume swell. I think the minifooger version of tremelo allows you to shape the sound more. So that gets my vote.

ukedealer likes this.
  12. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    If you can get your hands on a Dr. Scientist Tremulessence, they're amazing and I regret trading mine away. I also really dug my Source Audio Vertigo, they're fantastic and versatile as all can get out. Both of those tremolo pedals completely resolve any volume issues other trems may have.

Nunovsky likes this.
  13. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I've owned:

EHX Pulsar
    Moog MF-102
    Boss PN-2 and TR-2
    Voodoo Lab Tremolo
    Guyatone VT-X Tube Tree
    Earthquaker Hummingbird V2 & V3
    Empress v1 & V2
    Dr Scientist Tremolessence
    Cusack Tap-a-Whirl
    Diamond Tremolo
    Catalonbread Valcoder
    Strymon Mobius
    Fairfield Randy's Revenge
    Source Audio Orbiter
    Source Audio Vertigo

And probably a couple others I'm forgetting.

I have to give the nod to the Moog because there was just so much to explore there. But in terms of dedicated tremolos the Empress was my favorite.

The Diamond is nice too (I especially liked the shark tooth and killswitch settings) but the Empress would be my pick. Hard chop square waves to the warmth of the assymetrical "tube" setting it was versatile and sounded great. The rhythmic settings are very cool and I love tap tempo with trems. I wish it had expression control but beyond that I loved it.

14. WaynerBass

WaynerBass Banned SUSPENDED

Jan 12, 2016
    Southwest Florida
    Heres a nice one
    IMG_1025.JPG

15. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    ьштшь
    Thanks! I go with Empress. Mobius is for secondary tremolo.

16. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    Analog man mod on the Boss tr2. It's cheap, sounds great, and it has all the options a bass player needs in a tremolo IMHO. The one thing I wish it had was a ramp feature/expression control but I'd overuse it to obscenity. Got mine for 100$ used on ebay and haven't even looked seriously at other trems

ukedealer likes this.
  17. Good call, forgot about the mini Foogers. I bet the mini ring mod is killer, they still have the standard expression jacks don't they??
    (Also a great way of getting Moog delay on the cheap!)
    (I'd love the MF drive, I saw a video with Juan using one and it sounds to die for)
    (I'll shut up now)

HolmeBass likes this.
  18. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    I have a super cheap Dan Electro tremolo. It probably cost like $20, but sounds pretty awesome for only having 2 knobs. It's tiny and hard to stomp on, though.

19. Is it like an insipid light green colour?

20. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The Tuna Melt? If so, I thought that was a solid trem for the price.