Best Tube Amp for Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassophile, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Your opinions please. I have trace elliot and I'm looking for replacement.:cool:
  2. Ampeg would be my choice.

FWIW, John Turner just switched to a QSC, hisTE blew up and he really likes the QSC, talk to him for more input!

;) Treena
  3. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    it depends on your taste, your money and your music.

Goods tube amps are:
    ampeg SVT, aguilar, SWR SM, Mesa boogie M2000 and 400+.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I love the tone of my Sunn all tube head. If/When I go bigger & Newer with all tube... Aguilar then Mesa would be my choices.

but I'm planning to front a Crest power amp with just an Avalon U5 into a Bergantino NV series cabinet.
  5. zoran

May 10, 2002
    It depends what you like: all tube head or hibrid one(tube preamp and ss amp section)?

All tube head are difficult to find in our area. They are mostly USA made: mesa boogie 400+, ampeg svt-2 pro or classic, eden 300vt...
    Trace elliot also had all tube head but I don't know if they still exist on market. Hybrid heads are easier to find and easier to carry
    ;) . Ashdown or EBS are good choice.
  6. I know you don't want to hear this but, the vintage Trace Elliot V6's simply have no competition...

Aguilar and Mesa are both good modern day choices.
  7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Just to avoid confusion:
    The following you listed are actually hybrid amps (tube preamp with solid state power amp)--
    MB M-2000 & SWR SM's (actually the SWR SM's preamp is fundamentally solid state w/a 12AX7 thrown into the circuitry so they can say it has a tube preamp).

Aguilar makes one all tube head (DB359), two tube preamps (DB659 & DB680), one tube power amp (DB728), and one hybrid head (DB750).
  8. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Does anyone know where I can get a TE V6 or V8? I'm looking to sell my TE Hexa head for one...
  9. You'd have better luck buying a V-Type preamp and running into your Hexa's line in. The last V6 on eBay went for around $650, but they're not on there often.
  10. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    true I think if I was going to run a preamp with the Hexa it would be the Alembic F1:D
  11. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I know! I swear, the best tone I ever got out of any rig was when I plugged my Alembic F1-X into my Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+ power section. Even Joker would be at a loss for words to describe it. :)

12. The FX-1 and the V-Type are pretty similar. They're both based on the Fender Showman preamp.
  13. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I wish I kept my FX-1 now.....oh well
  14. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Nightbass how did the FX-1/400+ sound together compared to just the 400+
  15. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    No he wouldn't!:D
  16. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    or should i go with an Aguilar DB658 preamp?
  17. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I thought the Mesa 400+ preamp section was based on a Fender also. What's the advantage of the Alembic in front?
  18. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    It makes your rig bigger therefore better.
  19. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Aguilar DB 728.