Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best tube amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BoognishMang, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Can someone direct me to the tube amp thread.
    For some reason my search results came up empty :confused:
    If I get the raise promised, I'll be looking for a tube amp :hyper:

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...Trace V-8...

~S~

3. A lot of guys seem to love the Mesa/Boogie 400 or 400+. I have a D-180, which is sort of a half-size version of the 400. I love it, but haven't used it live. Sitting on top of an old BXR-115, it looks like a B-15 on 'roids.

4. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    An Aguilar DB 680/ DB 728 pre/power setup but they're really pricy and Aguilar's discontinuing the 728 so if you were to get one you'd need to grab it quick.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Are you asking about the best preamp, power amp, or head?

6. I was thinking tube head. Didn't want to mess with any power/preamps and getting another rackmount case, etc.

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Best tube head? Depending on your sound a vintage SVT or a Trace V8. Best tube overall is your choice preamp with an Aggie DB 728 or Demeter power amp. Some like the Mesa 400/400+ or the Sunn/Fender 300T better, but its really personal prefrence. If weight is an issue, get an Eden or Traynor.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Why a tube head?

If you have ear enough to know that you prefer the sound of tube over solid state (both can be incredible sounding... depending on style and set up) then you should have an idea of *which* tube head might be best for you.

Myself, I'm set for life with my Peavey Classic 400, others think it's a dog. Some find Ampeg SVT to be the bee's knees... I've yet to play through one that I could call my voice. The Trace stuff was hot, but like most modern tube heads... it wasn't in that great of a demand and got killed off. Eden VT300 had similar fate... Aguilar had the current production holy grail till they discontinued it last month... we just didn't love (read buy) them enough.
    etc
    etc
    etc

there is no best... just favorites

9. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...sadly +1...

~S~

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The VT-300 is still in production though right?

11. thanks guys. Just needed a direction. I don't wanna turn this into "my amp is better than yours" thread.

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Okay, now that we know you're looking for a head, perhaps you can even be more specific. Are you looking for an "all tube" head or a hybrid, where the preamp is tube and the power is solid state? Or, something like an EBS where the preamp is solid state, power amp is solid state, and a tube placed in the signal path *between* the pre- and power- sections?

13. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    For just a head I love the 400+ and it's inexpensive for an all tube head with that kind of power.

14. ALL TUBE BABY!

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I love my sunn. And I can't wait to get my Music Man.

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    ~264 watts RMS... the 500 they rate at is PEAK.

my head is almost 450 watts RMS and usually sell for ~$600 on eBay (one just sold today for a $450 BIN!!).

Traynor YBA200 go for a little less then that price new.

Many options out there.

Boognish: what size are you looking for? what kinda other stuff must you match? are you looking clean&HiFi or dirty?

Plain Old Me: I'm pretty sure I heard it was killed a while ago. Maybe I'm wrong.

17. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The Traynor YBA200 is what sold me on "the tube sound". I like it a lot. There was a Talkbasser selling one last week that I very nearly jumped on but I didn't have the coin at the time.

18. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I have a Trace V4 and a V6, I've also had SVT's, Trace Hexavalve, tried out the Sunn head etc. For me the Trace V-type heads are the best. I don't need a ton of overdrive or I would go with a vintage SVT. For just plain ballsy power and great damn tone, the Trace V4/V6/V8 amps are incredible.

Good luck finding a V8 on this side of the pond thoug. If you do it will cost you as well, but worth it.

19. looking for something i can overdrive.
    will be connected to 1x15 and 4x10.
    the 15 can handle 600w, and the 4x10 can handle 450w.

20. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I do my OD with a pedal. If you want it from the head, nothing beats a 70s SVT IMO. That or the last generation Trace V-type heads with the built in OD and compression.