Best tube amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Daffy Funk, Dec 19, 2005.

1. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    can I have one of those? You dont need three ;)

2. I once played through an Ampeg Flip Top (B-15R Porta-Flex) that was in a studio here in Toronto.

I must say that for a studio amp, this was the best sounding piece of equipment I have ever heard...to this day.

Of course the style of music one plays will have a strong impact on the amp one eventually ends up with.

A grunge-metal-head banger will probably have no use for this simple yet sophisticated piece of equipment.

Any jazz, blues, funk, country etc. player will truly covet this phenominal iconic wonderus sounding amplifier.

See it here:
    http://www.ampeg.com/products.htm?product=20&catid=19

3. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    If you think the B-15R is good, try one of the originals if you get a chance - the B-15n. It's THE recording amp. I have a '66.

And denton, NO! They're MINE! All MINE!

4. I have an original and it is very nice. Especially for smallish gigs, studio work and it works wonders for upright.

5. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    No one's mentioned either of the aguilars. DB359 and their mono block 728. Doesn't Phil Jones make "the most powerful" tube head out? The Aggie tube preamp and 728 is supposed to sweet as a honeybee.

Tom B.....every have one in stock?

Lkaye

6. I almost bought one in a pawnshop in toronto in 1979, when i bought my '75 P-Bass. He wanted 350.00 then, and I couldnt afford it ( I was 19 yrs old and just out of high-school),,, damn :-(

If I find an original on E-Bay or wherever , in reasonable condition, well priced etc. I think I would buy it.

Especially since I understand that the new B-15R is not pure class A but rather A-B.

Having said all this, I absolutely love my '72 Traynor Mark 3 Class A head.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, I did mention the DB 728. What a phenomenal power amp! I really like it a lot. It has a very forceful tone, with a hint of growl and an almost palpable "3D" like tone.

As for the 359, I do own one and I do like it, but it definitely takes a back seat to the SA200, in my book.

Tom.

8. Maybe not the most powerful, someone posted a 1Kw tube amp in the my amps thread a few weeks back :p

The Phil Jones head is 650 watts and $10,000 IIRC :p

9. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...I WIN...

~S~

10. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004

There he goes again, boys & girls... showing off his Frankenstein-monster-making machine again... :D

11. 400 watts per side Stereo power amp??? What theater did you find that at?

Is that really yours and is it still working and what are you using it for?

12. I believe we have all forgotten about the Orange tube amps. They are quite tasty as well. Oh, and Hi Watts are extremely nice if you can find one; I have seen more V8s for sale than I have seen the Hi Watt 400 watt head though :crying:

13. an Orange may be the only other tube head I buy. Actually the Hiwatt and Dr.Z are contenters too, but the Orange will be me guitar and lower watt bass head all in one.

The Hiwatt 400 is misleading. THe V8, Marshall VBA400, Demeter and Aggie tube power amps, etc are running 8x 6550 or KT88... the Hiwatt 400 is actually running just 6 like the V6, SVT, Fender 300 etc

Besides the Hiwatt / Reeves tone is a 100 watter dimed :bassist:

14. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    James Hart,

It's not 400w but 1K mono.

Was built, not found in a movie theater

Was mine very briefly, "traded" it back to my friend for another upcoming monster tube amp build(stereo/600W a side, 20 KT88's)

I was looking to use it to power all of my cabs at bigger venues(2 2x15's & a 2x10) & use it with my Kern pre.

For all tube amps I also use/have a Trace VA400 & V-8.

~S~

PS: Enjoy the pics...

15. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2001
    Holland, MI
    I want one of those monster amps. Maybe not quite so big ... but damn, 1000 watts of all tube goodness would be lovely. Even 500 watts would be beautiful. 10x6550...

16. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Surprise, AZ
    +1-- I have '65 and it is wonderful. I mic it with an AKG D112 louder gigs.

17. Thats what im talkin about

18. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    For a while, the Hiwatt 400 had 8xKT88s, i'm not sure why Hiwatt UK is skimping on the valves, now.

But yes, the DR103s sound KILLER for bass.

19. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses

Wow, instant wood!!!!!!!!! :cool:

My choice for the ultimate tube head/cab setup; I wish they were mine. :bassist:

20. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Also, anything Sunn made that was tube is good in my book. :cool:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021