Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best tube emulator?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I play out an ampeg 2x10 combo, it's great. Except I kind of want an overdriven SVT tone, or even a shellac sound. Any ideas?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I guess I'm just a bad person because I'm going to tell you - there's no way in hell your 2x10 is going to give you the sound of an 8x10 `Peg with its sealed enclosure for each of the SVT's two-10's.

BUT, there is hope. Try a SansAmp Bass Driver. It'll knock your 2x10"s to kingdom come. But you'll fine tune it to a point where it doesn't fart-out your 10"s.

Bottomline, your 2x10 will sound much more massive with the SansAmp.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yep.
    A SanSamp BassDriver would be the wisest move.
    A Bass POD can do a good job at it, but only for recorded use.
    From my humble experience, it sounds fake when used live.

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I currently have an EBS Multidrive which I bought for the very purpose that you mentioned. I use a GK 1001rb with Eden 2-10XLTs, which is a very clean sounding rig. I was looking for that dirty gritty tube sound for when I jam with some friends who play classic 60s rock. My funk / R & B tone was to clean for that material. The multidrive sounds good, but it's not quite what I was looking for. It has a more understated overdrive than say a Boss distortion pedal, but does not quite nail that tube-driven tonality.

I also tried the Sansamp Bass Driver DI. It sounded very good too. No better than the multidrive, just slightly different. The Sansamp also doubles as a DI.

I am selling my Multidrive and have ordered a Budda Phat Bass overdrive pedal which actually has two 12AX7 tubes in it. It's pricey at close to $300. I found it discounted to $260 new. There's limited info on this pedal posted in this forum, but a search will yield a few comments. I'll post a review once it comes in - about 8 weeks!

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

gfab - I've been tempted by that unit. Not because I've had the pleasure to try it or as a SansAmp replacement, but no one seems to have a bad word to say about it. It seems to be sturdy construction and isn't merely a clone of 10 other units on the market.

I look forward to seeing what you think after you put it through the paces.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I had a Budda for a short while. It's a pretty big unit, built like a tank. The tube thing works nicely, but I found the sound a bit middy for my liking.

I recently tried out the Blue Tube from ToneWorks. It's the size of a regular pedal, but slightly taller as it has a tube on board. Does a very nice overdrive, has onboard eq for bass/mid/treble as well as drive and volume. It's also a lot cheaper than the budda, at $115.

In the end I returned it and decided to keep my Fulltone Bassdrive, but if I didn't have the fulltone I'd have kept the Blue Tube.

Of course, we all use different gear and have different tastes. You may think the Budda is the best thing since sliced bread.

Info on the blue tube here

You can buy it at Pedalgeek.com. I'm not affiliated with them, just a satisfied customer of theirs.

7. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks for the comments guys. I hadn't seen the details on the blue tube before.

I wish that I could try these pedals out first. But no store seems to carry them here in Hawaii. So, I'm just going for it on the Phat Bass, and we'll see.

8. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    I had a Budda for 44 days (from MF when they had the $150 deal). I tried multiple combinations of vintage tubes I borrowed from friends (X's and T's), but I never got the "Ampeg" big tube sound. I did get a great "jack Bruce" overdrive, but it wasn't what I was looking for. I also tryed the Sansamp, but found it hollow sounding.

My next step is to try the Ampeg SVP and Warwick Quad pre-amps. I have heard good things about Blue Tubes, just haven't heard on yet!

Still looking. :)

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks for the comments Sammy. Sheeesh! I'm paying $260 and have to wait for 8 weeks.

10. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Can anybody comment on why the two tube Phat Bass pedal might sound better than the single tube Blue Tube pedal, or vice versa?

11. I'm thinking of a distortion pedal. The Fulltone gets high marks but the Sansamp's DI for recording is nice.

It would make it so easy to get good distorted tones to tape/disc and not have to fiddle with mics and mic angle and distances.

12. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    I think to adding warmth, two tubes are better than one. I'm not sure the BUdda over-drives both tubes. My experiment used two 12AX7's and a 12AT7. (With the 12AT7 being a lower gain tube) Trying all combinations, I found the "T" only changed the over-drive sound in one position. (Can't remember which one)

BTW. The Budda comes with cheap tubes! If you have one on it's way, I strongly suggest you repeat my experiment with as many different tubes as you can get.

13. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Sammy, I read in another thread that the Phat Bass comes with Chinese tubes and that thread also recommneded that one should try other tubes. Any other suggestions besides GT?

14. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Sorry, but I'm far from being an expert in tubes. I am sure there are other TB'ers that have more experience.;)

There is a web site (www.tubestore.com) that had some good reviews for 12AX7's. Some of my guitar friends have been happy with their recommendations. I still have the three old tubes I tried out. The 12AX7's are an International service master and a Sylania. The 12AT7 is a GE (ECC81).

I also read an article on the web saying "stop" trying to get a good tube over-drive through a 12AX7. Besides getting a tube power amp, the next best thing is small power tube driven into a dummy load, as in the SWR and Warwick pre-amps. I'm not sure their right, I'll know more next month when my local store gets the Warwick in.

15. If you already have a great sounding amp and you just want to be able to throw in a bit o' SVT grit on occasion there are many pedals that will do this for you. My current fav is the Dredgetone Bass Angler. Folks love their Fulltones as well. I would advise staying clear of "amp emulators" because their freq. curves seem best suited for the studio and not in series with another preamp. My BDDI never worked for me live. To blurry.....go for a stompbox.

[​IMG]

16. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Correction to my previous post. Scott from Budda confirmed that the Phat Bass pedal comes with "Russian tubes", not Chinese as I had previously mentioned. So, we'll see when it gets here in 8 weeks.

That Tubestore website has some interesting info on different types of tubes. Thanks for the referral!

I've heard good comments about the Angler as well. but I can't find any of those to try out down here either.

17. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    That's interesting, when I received mine from MF both tubes where Chinese. (The only markings on the tudes were the word "China") I wouldn't be surprized if that was due to MF.

Mad,

Thanks for the advise, I'll look for the Angler and Fulltones (which I have seen the posts). I love the sound of my Glock Soul and would prefer a pedal opposed to dealing with another pre-amp.

I have a hard time finding gear in my area, that's why MF was a good option for me. I can return it within 45 days and pay only postage. :cool: