1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Tube for the Genz-Benz Shuttle 9.0 - also when to replace you tube? if ever

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WardEarth, Jul 18, 2017.

1. I believe I have a JJ or JV tube in it at the moment, something like that. From what I remember it was an improvement over the ruby that it came with. Is there anything even better? How do I know I should replace the tube? It sounds great as is, but if the JV was an improvement, maybe there is something even better. I think I read somewhere the EV gold or something was great. Thoughts?

Im mostly playing punk / rock style sounds for now if that matters.

I've read over the extensive tube thread, and I don't think I have any of the symptoms of a bad tube. But I have used the same tube for over 5 years and I push it pretty hard most of the time. So who knows, maybe I should just buy a nice tube and try it out.

Another thought is I only use about half of my available gain on my amp, is there any advantage to getting a tube that has lower gain? Differences in sound vs a hotter tube?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  2. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Aged horse will probably chime in here, ( he designed the Shuttles ), but I believe he has said that changing the tube should not make that big of a difference, from tube to tube.

Wicked G likes this.
  3. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Agreed, Agedhorse has said before that changing the tube on the Shuttles makes little to no difference at all.

4. Why won't my pad sad faces work here..........sigh

agedhorse likes this.
  5. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    :(

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Tube should last 20 years or so no matter how hard you drive it. If it's working fine I would just leave it alone and spend that time doing something more useful like practicing scales or cleaning and detailing your bass.

Spent, fishstix, 'shed and 13 others like this.
  7. Hey, a little difference is still a difference. And I do believe the Ruby to the JJ was a noticeable difference. But to each their own.

8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    By design, the circuitry normalizes some of the really wild differences between tubes and parameters. This way the customer gets a predictable sounding amp without having to worry about variations in tubes. Otherwise it's possible that a mediocre tube might make the amp sound bad compared with another player's identical amp.

Sure there are small differences, but nothing very significant in the overall performance.

revroy and Killed_by_Death like this.
  9. Ya I was mostly just replying to the sad faces. And all this being said, I'm not looking to chase down the magic tube. Nor will I probably go and buy any expensive tube to try out. Is there any tubes that you prefer in your experience? Whether it be for the little class D amp or a tube based monster amp. And if you'd rather not point the talkbass community in any particular direction, that is totally ok.

On a side note, you'd probably laugh at the condition of my base. I've never cleaned or detailed it. I'm playing punk rock, the dirtier the better. Its got that oval shaped finger grime in between all the frets, probably hasn't been cleaned since the 90's. At least it isn't covered in stickers.

The Nameless and agedhorse like this.
  10. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Feelin' sad on your behalf, bro. Kirk :bawl::crying::thumbsdown::rollno::meh::facepalm::sorry::unsure::atoz:

:laugh::D:laugh:

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  11. The GB Shuttle is a World-class amp no doubt. That said, it is not a tube amp per say. If you want to dip into the World of tube-rolling, buy an all-tuber and have at it. That said, you have a wonderful amp. Go clean yer axe ya punker! :roflmao:

Marc

12. Yeah. .. I don't think I'd bother in the Shuttle. They sound great as is. Unless it's gone microphonic or actually stopped working.

revroy likes this.
  13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

@WardEarth I have to take exception to what you have entered as your location. It’s uncalled for. :rollno:

14. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    i like the JJ long plate / gold pins ... ? 12ax7 803s ?

i usually look for older mil spec'd tubes to fiddle around with ...

my tube eq has Sylvania JAN 12ax7 tubes from the early 80's ... ( Joint Army Navy ) ... my Eden Glow Plug has a 1957 GE JG5751 in it ... all have Long Plates .. !!

15. McFarlin

McFarlin

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    But that's the English translation of San Diego.

16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Maybe where YOU come from but not me! :D

17. (I really couldn't help it...)

McFarlin likes this.
  18. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I like the JJ ECC83 or 12AX7WA. For the most part, the shorter plates work better for bass due to less tendency for low freq. microphonics. The Ruby 12AX7AC5 is another good tube and is the stock tube.

jam.majors, rodl2005 and Mastermold like this.
  19. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Practice scales? Clean your bass? I used to like this guy.

;)

BadExample and agedhorse like this.
  20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    When I had a Shuttle 9.0 I put a NOS Select Telefunken ECC83 (a $100+ tube) in it. No discernable difference. Needless to say, I took it out and put the original back in.

revroy and agedhorse like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021