Best "tube preamp" for Markbass solid state amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pringlw, Nov 8, 2011.

1. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Hey, I have a Markbass rig (CMD 102 combo amp + 151HR cab).

I love the the rig. It gives me massive tone and volume. It also is amazingly light considering how big it sounds.

But all that comes with a price. The solid state just doesn't give you that tube warmth. I know that getting an Ampeg head would deliver the tube sound, but i don't want to take that step right now.

To warm things up, right now I'm using the EBS Valvedrive as a preamp. It's not bad. My question is; what are the very best tube preamp/pedal options to get more of a tube sound?

ps: looking at the Markbass tube Compressore as an option - seems to have good reviews.

2. I tried the sans amp VT-bass, SFT, flipster, tonehammer, and DHA VT-1 in front of my markbass and my favorite one to date is the DHA, it gave me a very nice warm organic grit. Can't go wrong with tubes if you want a tube sound. Never tried the markbass tube compressore, sounds like an interesting option!

3. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    The de Lisle Eighty-Sixed has worked with my bass. It is a real tube-based preamp/overdrive pedal with 12AX7 and EF86 tubes.

Seymour Duncan has a tube-based pedal.

There is the ART Tube MP with its real tube.

4. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    I ordered up a DHA VT-1 EQ. Reviews were amazing so lets see how it does. I especially liked that you could plug in a MP3 player and headphones and use it as a practice amp. Pretty cool feature. Thanks for the help.

5. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    B3K!

6. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    An excellent tube preamp, yes, but probably out of the pricing requirements of the OP.

In looking at the prices of the various tube-based pedals, the DHA seem to be the most cost effective for a pedal. Even with the conversion rate for Americans.

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What a laugh. First you complained (a few days ago) that nobody here posts about Markbass, and you had a nice word for all of us about that. But here you are in the middle of a Markbass thread. Secondly you don't even own a B3K, you just posted that yours is arriving tomorrow.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021