Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best tubes for a SWR IOD?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Sep 30, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Just got this preamp and as always I want to experiment.
    What 12ax7 and EL84´s will make this preamp sound it´s best?
    It´s all groove tubes in it now. Im thinking of going NOS but dont want to sell a kidney. :help:

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    :eek: Thats exactly what I dont like about the sound right now and the mid control cuts to low to help that!
    So, are those tubes new or NOS? Im quite new to this...

3. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i jsut tried to use some GE NOS 5751's and i was very disappointed with their sound and their breakup. for some reason they lack warmth compared to the GTs and overdrive turned into some nastiness that was very uneven, and only made for good fuz when cranked and slightly blended in.

i'd 2nd the jj's,...but i'm also interested in those mullard reissues

4. Save your money. GT's "Mullards" are just another Chinese 12AX7. Don't take my word for it. See for yourself.

If you are tired of buzzy icepick highs, the JJ's are excellent.

5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I've got the JJs in mine (all three) and I'm happy with the difference.

6. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    its strange though, because i'm sure that the preamp tube affects the power tubes' overdrive when i go back and forth between my GE NOS 5751's and the 12ax7's i have...not just the gain but the nature of the overdrive also...

7. By advice from PBG I bought an Ei elite tube for my SWR bass750. Sounds great - smooth and warm - and it was less than 10 euros at the tubeshop.com. Tried the GT "Mullard" too, and while it was warm sounding, it wasn't as natural sounding in the highs as the Ei.