Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best tubes for an SVT-CL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RushofBlood, May 3, 2005.

1. RushofBlood

RushofBlood

Apr 27, 2005
    I got an offer to play bass in a band (not my main instrument), so I had to pull the trigger on getting some real gear and i found an amazing deal that i couldn't pass up.

'93 SVT-CL head
    '00s Classic 410HLF

for about 800.
    Practically mint, I'm still in disbelief :)

Only thing is, the tubes are about to run out, what would be good, economically+tonally speaking, to replace them with?

2. What makes you think the tubes are "about to run out?"

3. RushofBlood

RushofBlood

Apr 27, 2005
    they've only been replaced once, and I don't know about bass amps, but in guitar tube amps, power tubes should be replaced around every 2 years generally.

the sound just isn't as clean and hi-fi and it should be either.

4. A) Good tubes can last a hell of alot longer than 2 years, and it also depends on how much they are used

B) Not many tube amps are Hi-Fi, especially not an ampeg, these are definatly Lo-Fi, in that they colour the sound, for an amplifier to be high fidelity it should ampify the sound exactly (or near enough)

5. For what it's worth...if you're looking for Clean and HI-Fi, the SVT CL is pretty much the antithesis of that. You can achieve clean and hi-fi, but it takes patience and subtle tweaking. If you want bone-rattling loud, then you got the right head.

Psycho Bass Guy has probably forgotten more about tubes and tube amps than most people here know. So the question he poses is valid...what makes you think they need to be replaced, besides your perceptions? Are they crackly? Microphonic?

I replaced mine just so I'd know when they were installed and I could monitor how much they were actually used over their lifetime. But I really didn't need to replace them, and the stock tubes were still going strong in a 4+ year old amp.

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    You should probably check the bias every one or two years depending on use. They shouldnt require replacement though.

7. RushofBlood

RushofBlood

Apr 27, 2005
    I think that's closer to what I actually want, I really just don't want anything going out unexpectedly. The guy I bought it from told me I should probably replace them soon, but so far, no microphonics or crackling, although I haven't got to put much playing time on it, it's not kept here at the house, and we rehearse through headphones.

Come to think of it, it was probably the bass the guy had to try it out that was noisy and muddy. Also, it was passive, and plugged into the padded input.

But regardless, when I say clean, I don't mean sterile, I'd be uncomfortable listening to that all the time.

I'll make some time to get over there and plug in my bass and mess around with it a little more, and see if it clears up.

8. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Power tubes you can think about replacing when you start not getting full power out of them. When they have dropped too far, you have a reason to replace. otherwise not unless they are making noise, etc.

In some cases, that may not be a problem, like the old blues guy here, who had way-dead tubes, but liked the sound.

Preamp tubes do not need replaced unless they are making noise, or the gain has dropped noticeably and affects your sound.

They are absolutely NOT something that needs to be replaced like an oil change......unless you are made of money, and want to give some to your technician and tube supplier.

Guitar amps CAN be fussier....guitar players sure are.....the power tubes can get beat on pretty hard, and preamp tube gain / tone is much more important to guitar players using massive overdrive. Differences are much more easily heard with guitar amps....

9. Altho, if you do feel the nessicity to replace tubes every year i'll take the old ones of your hands :)

;)

10. RushofBlood

RushofBlood

Apr 27, 2005
    I just thought about that. Guitar amps, usually are run overdriven or class a, which is hard on your tubes, that would make sense why they get replaced more often.

I don't think I could afford to replace 6 6550s a year :p