Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Tubes for SVP Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by voionmaa, Nov 10, 2003.

1. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    Need some help with my new SVP Pro. Just purchased a used one which has Groove Tubes in it. Seem a little noisy and was wondering if there is a better type of tubes that would be quieter and keep the vintage Ampeg tone.

2. citizen

citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    FRANCE,paris
    I own a svt 3 pro too, and now is use tesla (jj) tubes.
    I had groove tubes before, it s good too but very expensive.
    I don t like sovtek tubes.

You can find jj tubes at www.eurotubes.com
    It s very cheap because of the absence of distributor, but it s really good tubes.(Ingwie Malmsteem plays with).

Since i play with it, my sound is so warm and powerfull!!!!

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Search for Lord Valve on here and call him. The set of tubes he recommends sound good. I don't know the exact brand and numbers so I don't want to tell you wrong information.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What Schwinn said.

5. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    Got Lord Valves email address and phone number. sent him an email with this question. Waiting to hear back.

6. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    IME it doesn't seem to matter what tubes you use, the SVP is just noisy in of itself.

7. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I bought an SVP from reasonbass here on TB. Was NEVER noisy in the least. It had been retubed, however.

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    There has been a lot of TB threads on this issue.

Most suggest that it needs a solid burn-in period (like 24 hrs. continuous) to get rid of the hiss (that's assuming you don't have any bad tubes).

9. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Lord Valve will recommend NOS Beijing grey plates, I just got a set from him. He is slow to respond to emails - you're better off just calling him on the phone.

The jury's still out on these, but here's my first impressions after one night of playing on them.

Pros: No noise, much richer harmonic content, more mids and highs, warmer, bigger, more open sound with better clarity and definition.

Cons: Lost all the rude aggressive thick sticky physical low end punch of the Sovteks. Much less bottom, and the bottom sounds "wet" compared to the "dry" more physical bottom of the Sovteks. Sounds much more "polite" if you're looking to tame your Ampig, but sounds almost too "normal" and generic for me.

Until I tried the Chinese, I didn't realize what I was missing in terms of harmonic content, warm mids and clearer highs. But one of the primary reasons I bought the Ampeg was for that physical low-end punch the Chinese tubes are missing. So in spite of the Sovtek's more brittle highs, poorer definition, and less harmonic content, I may wind up going back to them. Or a combination if I can nail down the right one. Gonna try them with the band tomorrow and see how they sound in a mix.

10. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Hey Mitch,

Nice review! That's a good idea mixing the sets you have. Maybe you can find a nice compromise of what you like in each set of tubes. A fun experiment anyway...

11. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    What's up Schwinn, they all sound pretty good thru that 1850 ;)

Did some more experimenting tonight and now I'm sure the Chinese are too trebly for me - and I don't want to go back to the WA's either! Damn that LV, he made me hate my amp! :p Seriously tho, I think I'm gonna order 1 each of his EH WA and 5751, like CzarMike said you can get a really good idea of what each tube sounds like by auditioning it in V1. Hopefully his WA's won't buzz like my stock ones.