Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best tuner

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by michele, Jul 23, 2004.

1. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Ok, I don't know if it's the right forum to put this thread in but ... you need this little box to properly set up intonation!
    What's in your opinion the best bass tuner?

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I have heard and read that strobe tuners are the most accurate, but they are pricey.

3. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    a lot of people swear by Korg tuners, a lot of people also use pedal tuners. I use a seiko and it has worked fine for me

4. I've got an old Boss TU-12 needle tuner. It's put up with my abuse for around 10 years or so. I've also got a Boss TU-2 pedal tuner. Really cool. Accurate, fast, and doubles as a mute switch. I've also got a Korg rack tuner I'm not too fond of. It's too accurate- FWIW.

5. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    The Peterson Strobostomp is the best tuner I have ever owned, by far, and I've owned a few in my day. Accuracy and stability is vitally important if you are going to set your intonation.

6. The Korg CA-20 is just a cheap digital chromatic tuner, but it gets the job done just fine.

7. Once you've used a Peterson strobe, nothing else will do!
    Most tuners are accurate to "3 cents", some to "1 cent".
    The Peterson Strobe to 1/10 cent.
    Your guitar just sounds better and they are very easy to use once you get used to it.
    I have the VS-1. The VS-2 is an updated version. If they had the STrobe O Stomp tuner pedal at the time I bought mine...that is what I would have gone for. :bassist:

8. With the Peterson strobe tuner/stompbox/direct box, you get more than just a tuner........check them out.

http://www.petersontuners.com/products/strobostomp/index.cfm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I use a program called G-tune (as suggested by JMX). Even the demo works fine as it is fully functional, the only limit is that you can't use it for more than 15 minutes at a time. http://www.jhc-software.com/

10. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    I recently bought an Intellitouch PT1

[​IMG]

It basically attaches to the head stock of the bass and tunes from the vibrations through the wood.

Not had any problem so far.