Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best tuner?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by simpy1, Apr 2, 2005.

1. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    The only two pedal tuners I have tried are the Boss TU-2 and the Korg DT10....and to be honest the Korg was way, WAY better. Much faster tracking, nice & clear, easier to see on stage. Doesn't matter a whole lot 'cause my Warwick never goes out of tune...but just in case I smack it on something on stage hehehe...it has happened.

Any better ones?

2. Ears

3. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    A couple of points on that:

1) I don't have perfect pitch, so the best I'll be is in tune with myself, which will nto suffice.

2) My drummer never shuts up, so I need something to look at on stage when I can't hear myself (of course there are the screaming fans too....)

But yes, ears are good.

4. :D

Good one.

IMHO - the Boss white pedal thingy is pretty good. Stange question though - are you using different tunings for songs?

5. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I was torn between the Korg DT-10 and The Boss TU-2 last week. I coulnd't decide which one to get and then I found this Rocktron product called the X-tune.

I have never used any Rocktron product so I knew nothing about it. I noticed that it was built like a small tank compared to the Korg and Boss. The aluminum case was nice and it has a low profile. It was $40.00 less than the Korg and $50.00 less than the Boss so I thought I would try it.

So far it works great on my four strings. I use a Fender Jazz and an Ibanez SRX300 and it tracks very fast and its accurate. The tunning LED's are very bright and easy to see. The Letters for the strings/notes are not on a seperate single digital read out like the Boss or Korg(maybe thats why it's cheaper) and they are harder to see but they are legible from a standing position.

I have not had the chance to try it on a five string so I don't know how well it will track the low-B.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ