1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best type of band to help me progress?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Matthew_84, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Inspired mostly by DwaynieAD's post in the "When does it click in?" thread, I've realized that for the last few years I've purposely been stuck doing things that are only within my comfort zone, which includes my current situation of starting a new band for music I'm very comfortable playing.

I'd like to push myself out of my comfort zone and join a band that will:
    - gig regularly
    - play songs comprised of chord progressions (currently playing hip-hop and 70's funk, which usually doesn't)
    - provide the opportunity to improvise over chord changes
    - have some difficult to play, technical songs (like Metal, Jazz Fusion, etc), but not every song has to be a challenge

Anyone have any opinions on what I should be looking for? I'm open to pretty much any genre.

Also, would a cover or originals band be better?

Thanks.

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Jazz.

Ron Johnson, Winfred and Matthew_84 like this.
  3. Yeah, was thinking that... I feel like that maybe a little too much for now, but maybe that's why it would be the best fit.

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    If you have basic reading skills, you could find a rehearsal band. Great for learning and building skills, not so much for gigging.

5. Alternative Rock. It's not so mind bending like jazz, many of the songs have cool changes and/or textures that you can explore, plus you can always get gigs.

Ron Johnson and Jake72 like this.
  6. OP here... I think I may try to learn some Jazz Fusion. I think it would cover all of what I want to cover, plus, a jazz fusion drummer replied to one of my ad's last week, but I didn't reply at the time because I didn't want to play the genre. I just sent him a reply to see if he's still interested.

Other than learning jazz fusion songs, what should I start working on? I'm thinking of learning to play walking basslines, which will help me with chords and improvising. Any thoughts?

7. Masterbassist30

Masterbassist30

Jan 10, 2015
    Jazz

Winfred likes this.
  8. My personal opinion is that Fusion is one of the toughest genres to perform of any type of western music. If you can't yet play a walking line, fusion is light years past you. You need an advanced foundation in jazz fundamentals and technique to pull it off, but I suppose, it can't hurt to try... You have nothing to lose, except your mind. Good luck

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    obimark and Matthew_84 like this.
  9. Thanks for the response... Sounds like I should dive into the jazz pool first. Thanks!

10. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    I don't know if there's a local scene for it but blues jams are great!

11. BazzTard

BazzTard Inactive

Another way to expand your playing is to join an originals band. Learn to come up with interesting basslines yourself.
    If you've never played originals before, it is a very rewarding experience.
    i'd rather play originals to twenty people than covers to 200. Though just once I'd like to play originals to a crowd.

12. play some grateful dead. Many songs have tons of chords and it's all about improv.

groovatron likes this.
  13. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    All the old farts who listen with their eyes and who never ever attempt to get out of their blues comfort zone will tell you the opposite, but a good metal band will push you beyond your limits.

Nesch, 13lues and gnarlyWarlock like this.
  14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I never thought of metal as a good vehicle for improvising over chord changes. Jazz is all about that. Of course, it helps if you like jazz :roflmao:

15. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Original band play in their confort zone ya know ... they will create lines that they can play ! They won't try to push it ! Just like all band ever what they could do on the first album is still the same stuff in later album.

16. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    sure you don't improvise but it pushes you're technique to the limit for sure

17. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Central Florida
    I don;t think the genre of band is as important is the quality of the other players. I am in a rock cover band for the most part, we play a whole bunch of tunes and we also improv in different songs each night. There is a lot of interaction. The chord progressions aren't always complex but we push each other each night. Cream was playing blues but they still were monster players.
    I do practice other forms of music on my own and have hosted jam nites for a few years that helps you become a better listener.

Session1969 and Bunk McNulty like this.
  18. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Discover Abersold - Jamey Aebersold Jazz You can solo to your heart's content, you'll be playing with the best musicians, their timing is perfect, they'll never get tired of supporting you!

Seriously, try some of the Abersold CD's and woodshed before you try to go to the next level. Get your confidence up, become a better player and you'll get in a better band.

2nd - transcribe some difficult songs. There is a program called Transcribe! which is very helpful. Although improvising is good, trying to copy what someone else is playing, exactly, will really push you.

jazzsoul likes this.
  19. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I wonder what a jazz band would sound like if it was made up of people who don't like jazz?

Howlin' Hanson likes this.
  20. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Jazz. Learn a few tunes w/charts. Once you get into it Rock N Roll will be very easy.
    And as always play with some better musicians.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021