Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best type of bass strings.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jonboy11290, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Jonboy11290

Jonboy11290

Feb 22, 2006
    I recently put GHS Flea Bass boomers Mediums on my carvin lb70... the strings sounded great for about a week but then the e and a string started sounding dead... the d and g strings still sound good... so I just wondered if this has ever happened to anyone else... and what type of strings you recommend i play on

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    i personally love DR highbeams. thick, bright, more stiff than others ive tried.

3. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    +100000000000000000 for DR Hi-Beams. They freaking last FOREVER!!! I had mine on my bass for over 6 months before they died, and they sounded great the whole time.

I just got some DR Nickel Lo-Riders today and strung them onto my bass to replace the Hi-Beams. They sound brilliant as well, and from what I've heard, they also last a long time, but the tension may be a bit too much for me, unfortunately.

Still, I don't think you can go wrong with DR. Rotosound also always sound amazing, but they can last anywhere from months to only days. Kind of hit or miss. But I would recommend the RS55 Solo Bass strings . . . they sound killer.

4. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Not yet, thankfully. I use Ken Smith tapercore mediums. It took a lot of searching to finally settle on these. I must have spent at least 2-300 bucks looking for the right strings. The upside is, now I've found 'em:hyper:

5. i use Rotosound Swing Bass 66's, #RN66LD. they start very bright, then mellow just a bit, in a few weeks. after about 3 months, they will gracefully age to a nice rumble sound. then, i put on a new set. about twice, or three times a year.
    :cool:

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    D'Addarios. They are wonderful.

7. I used to use the boomers on my old carvin too, same issue sounded good for about 10 hours of playing then died.

After some trials I've been using DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams 45-105 and there are great for all styles of music. Tight bottom, good mid grind and reduced highs. They last a very long time.

8. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Get Fodera strings. They are amazing. They sounds very good and last a long time.

Check this site out too.... www.juststrings.com

9. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    +1 on the DR's

I use DR Sunbeams. Different sounds for different folks, but IMHO all the different flavors of DR's offer high-quality construction as evidenced by their consistency and typical long life.

10. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    My fretted basses are strung with either medium or medium-light gauge Ken Smith Bass Burners. The strings are quite punchy, and tend to last a long time.

After D'Addario ceased production of Slowounds, Ken Smith Bass Burner strings have been my favorite.

Ted

11. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Ted, I am also a gospel bassist who uses a fender 5'r (RBV) and am concerned with cutting thru the mix. I play thru an Avalon U5 that runs thru the house mix and personal monitor system; NO amps on stage. I currently have my bass strung up with Labella Hard Rockin' Steels, which sound warm and have great tension. My director stated that my attack was a tad weak and that my sound was a bit thin and wooly; we were playing Marcus Miller's "Snakes" for the prelude. I assured him that I was digging in to the point of clipping the input of the p.a. Im wondering if it's the Avalon, the p.a., the sound tech, or my strings? I was considering going back to flats (DA Chromes) but I would like to stay with the rounds for a while longer. I played KS Burners some time ago and really liked their sound and feel, but do you really feel that they offer up substantial punch? And what other strings have you tried (aside from the DA's) before settling on the Burners?

Thanks, Steve

12. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    Hi Steve,

Over the past 20 years, I have tried many different strings on different basses. One thing I noticed is that some strings work better on some basses than others. Therefore, I am a little reserved about making firm recommendations in this area.

The D'Addario Slowounds seem to provide pretty good results regardless of the bass I was playing at the time. This is one of the main reasons I loved them. The Ken Smith Bass Burners have produced similar results from my experience. Also, the Ken Smith Bass Burners have an open mid (or swooped sound) type of sound, which I love for slapping.

Before settling upon Ken Smith Bass Burners, I went back to using GHS Bass Boomers, D'Addario XLs and DR Low Riders, which are pretty easy to find locally. I actually only tried Ken Smith strings because many Gospel bassist in my area were (and still are) playing Ken Smith basses, and the only bass product with Ken Smith's name on it that I could afford at the time was its strings. :D

To this day, I sometimes experiment with different strings. I have heard good things regarding DR's Marcus Miller Fat Beams. I plan to purchase a set for one of my basses in the near future.

By the way, have you considered using the Fender stock strings? I like them on my P-bass when it arrived.

Ted

13. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member