Best type of Ibanez Tube Screamer to use on Bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lc12345678, Jan 27, 2005.

1. lc12345678

Jan 20, 2005
    I was wondering what ibanez tube screamer best suits the bass guitar. I play in a rock/alt band and use a Big Muff but want more sounds to play with. Any feedback would help.
  2. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have a sound tank tube screamer and it is awesome for bass.
    These pedals can be had for about 20 bux on ebay.

3. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Get a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive or Jacques Tube Blower. Those are the only Tube Screamer clones that won't take a huge bite out of your low end.
  4. Or any good mod on a Tubescreamer. A lot of people mod them to not steal off the low end... If you're in Europe/Scandinavia I'd recommend this guy.

There are some greats in the states as well; Analogman, Keeley to name a few.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have a Sonic Distortion (SD-9). It's the Tuberscreamer's big brother. It can sound quite okay if you have an EQ pedal after it to boost the lows you're going to lose from it.

Or get that low end mod as Mikke suggested.
  6. RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    I haven't tried it, but the Visual Sound Route 66 has a 'bass boost' toggle (which I suspect actually just fixes the bass drain of a 'true' TS), true-bypass, and a built-in compressor. Cool looking pedal, and it generally gets good reviews.

Another possibility is to get a TS-7 and have it modded. You can pick one up for $25, have it modded, and still be about $50 ahead of getting something like the Route 66 or Sparkle Drive.
  7. 73jbass

Apr 17, 2004
    I've been using a stock Turbo Tube Screamer with great results.The turbo setting allows more low end to get through, plus you have better control over your distortion. They are about 100.00 new,but worth it.
  8. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I use a regular ol TS9. May not work for every situation. Works well for white stripes covers though.
  9. The Fulltone Bass-Drive is based on the Tube Screamer, but modified for extended low end.[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
  10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd go with the Jacques Tube Blower.
  11. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    i use an old school TS9 > Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive. The voodoo labs sparkle drive is the bomb in my opinion. i set my sparkle drive for a more sharp sounding distortion and use the TS9 for a thicker crunchier setting. Both pedals are versatile, but i think that the sparkle drive gives the best distortion sound for a bass without sacrificing your natural bass sound.
  12. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i use a regular ts7 and get some great sounds out of it... i dont mind it taking a little low end off.