1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

best type of tweeter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Triclops, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    i'm replacing my old one with a bullet tweeter,have I made the right choice?

2. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Hard to say....

3. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    From what I've read, the reason that a manufactuer puts a certain design in a cabinet is because that design works the best as far as sound quality and dispersion.

That said, assuming you have a proper working crossover and know the sensitivity of the tweeter best suited to your cab, look at some tweeters made by Selenium.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Most tweeters are chosen for two-way cabs not because of great dispersion shaping (that takes a larger well-designed horn) or good matchup with the woofer's response before beaming limits - but because they are relatively cheap and small. And most use compression drivers because they are more efficient so it only takes one to truly keep up.

That said, one of the better unitized compression units can be found at Carvin.com in the speaker replacement section.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. Most cabs would be far better off with a midrange driver, but it and the required crossover are more expensive than a tweeter.

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I'm actually considering this for the compression driver on my next three-way project:

[​IMG]

http://www.bmspro.info/index.php?show=item&usbid=10281&id=54370

On the right medium-format horn you can cross this coax over as low as 300 Hz for a single point source that's been well proven in touring/installations. Yowzah!

7. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    my cab is a 210 with a crossover,and is rated at 400wrms at 8ohms