Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best under $500 bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pesticle, Apr 27, 2002.

1. i was wondering.. what do you people think is the best under 500 dollar bass? This forum will help out alot of thsoe lowly high schoolers who want to start out without bankrupting themselves, or who have to buy in installments.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, in the 5 string category, I'd say the MTD Kingston fiver. Kills anything on the market for the buck. And the B string blows away a lot, if not most basses I've tried, period. Forget the quantifier "for the price," this is just a killer B string, flat out.

In the 4 string field, well, that is a little more open for debate. It depends on what your into. Myself, I really like Yamaha BBs, the Ibanez BTB400QM, and the Cort Curbows.

3. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    The MTD Kingston, all the way. Tons of potential for upgrades, and a killer B.

4. you like the kingstons eh

5. In case you're in Europe, I would vote for the Peavey C5 (or Zephyr). I bought mine (new) for ~ $350 and I like it a lot.
    It's the budget-version of the Cirrus, 34" scale, passive electronics.
    http://www.peavey-eu.com/c4c5.html

I haven't played a MTD, though.

Bye,
    Gero

6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Another MTD Kingston vote.

7. yeah myf riend has a peavey too.. it'svery nice

8. look used...you can get a ton of good deals. I got a Yamaha TRB5II for 500 :D

9. I've owned both the Kingston and Yamaha BB605 and the Yamaha wins my vote. Nice alder body, stingray-like neck, active electronics with a built-in NE-1 "Nathan East" parametric, for $399 from Musicians Friend. This bass is amazing for the money.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

MTD Kingston, no contest. If I had one of these, my Pedulla and Cirrus playing time would be reduced.

11. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Haven't tried the Kingston. If the neck is like the Heir I'm sure the 5 is awesome.

Liked the Yamaha BBg5s, has Fender like tones, active preamp, the B-string is a little floppy though.

The Korean Spector's with the right setup are very nice too.

12. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    those Copely's are sparking quite a debate! :D

13. WHAT DO KINGSTONS SOUND LIKE? I MIGHT GET A 4 STRING, WHAT ABOUT THE BB605.. THE EQ IN IT AND ITS ONLY 399.. THATS AWESOME DEAL IF IT SOUNDS GOOD

14. cough...

cough...

cough...

MTD KINGSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

15. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    MTD Kingston

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    QUIT SHOUTING.

The K5 sounds very well rounded. Snap, Bite, Smooth, and what have you. It's round, with a good amount of cut/bite (the MM style pup helps).

Awesome bass, price not withstanding.

17. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Where can you (and I :)) buy one at this price?

Thanks,

18. I got my Yamaha BB605 from Musicians Friend for $399 in natural/rosewood. It really sounds great, actually amazing for the money.

19. anyone else?