Best Underrated/Unknown Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ezekiel732, Dec 11, 2000.

1. ezekiel732

Dec 11, 2000
    Mike from Candiria is the best!!
  2. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
  3. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I would say that at the time, i am the best unknown bassist, of course that is just my opinion. While there may be some of you better than I, you are prob. better known as well, I haven't broken out of the basement yet.

4. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    i love the modesty

"I would say that at the time, i am the best unknown bassist,..."

that just gets me, im not trying to be an ass, im just really bored, hell, maybe he is the most talented underrated bassist, who knows.
  5. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Jason Black - Hot Water Music

I'd have to say he is the best bassist I have heard in a long time. I really wish more people knew about him and how good he is, as well as how good the entire band is.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ryan Martini "Ryknow" from Mudvayne. He is a former Jazz fusionist who uses a super heavy funk appraoch to metal. Saw him live, and the boy has skills like nobody's buisness.
  7. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I'd have to say either Helmut Hattler or Roly Wynne.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

And you haven't filled out your profile yet! Doing this might help make you more "well-known" around here. ;)

Or do you just want to be the most unknown bassist?
  9. Hary

Hary Guest

Sep 19, 2000
    Hungary, Veszprém
    Hey BassDude! You've forgotten about me! :D:D
  10. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    i would say it would have to be McCartney!
    People who play guitar see the beatles as an easy way to learna s they had three chords higher. Instinctively u would think oh? same with the bass but not so....paul was very,very good and i think didn't get recognised for his playing
  11. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I would have to agree, most people don't see it, but he was good, and while famous, still underrated (as a bass player) Good Pick

12. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Bruce Lindfield, I updated my profile, sorry about that, didn't mean to not do it. I think that when I wanted to originally do it my PC kicked me off of the web in the middle of filling it out. But now it is all good.
  13. Brook

Sep 24, 2000
    I think that sam rivers from Limp Bizkit.

He doesn't slap and detune like Fieldy. He is strictly fingerstyle and he playes his own line more often then not.
  14. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Sam is really cool, I like his bass lines..
  15. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    here are some :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Les Claypool
    Victor Wooten
    jaco pastorius

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  16. id say matt freeman (from operation ivy and rancid)

also i would like to point out that jaco prestor...whatever and les claypool are the most overated mofos ive ever seen
  17. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Yeah, Matt Freeman is great..I´ve never heard operation ivy, could you recommend anything?
  18. All I have to say is that there was this Russian dude at Matt Umanov Guitars on Bleecker St in the Village.... he didn't work there or anything, and I don't even know his name.......but when I say this dude was great I mean my jaw just hit the floor......when I asked how he learned to play he said "it was the only way out of my country" I honestly think he may have been the best I have ever heard......

......if you groove it, they will come.....
  19. cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    Have you ever heard of Liquid Soul...a Chicago based AcidJazz/Funk outfit...Ricky Showalter is Fantabulous!
  20. lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Boston's bassist(s), be it Tom Scholz (unclear whether he did the studio work or not), or Fran Sheehan, who is credited for the work. Excellent rock bass.

And Nate Mendel from Foo Fighters. Super melodic tasty lines.

And Robert DeLeo from STP. More great melodic lines.