Best Universal tool for going Direct?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dean owens, Feb 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    Our church just redid al the sound equipment and we're running in-ears now. I need to get something for the bassists to use to go direct. I've been a GK man for over 20 years so if I were the only one playing bass I'd be ordering a PLEX. But I'm curious to hear from y'all. If you had to order something for going direct that would be used by a variety of people, what would you get?

PLEX - Has an advantage of a built in tuner.
    SansAmp - with the VT deluxe (or whatever it's called) you can save 6 presets.
    Zoom B3

What suggestions do you have for me?

2. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I don't think you're going to get a better answer than the Plex. If you know and love GK and need a DI, the search ends right there :)

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    For me, just a direct box. I've never been happy with amp simulators.

10cc likes this.
  4. Noylin

Noylin Supporting Member

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    As a player I'd probably be most excited in that situation by a high quality direct box like a U5 or Reddi - basically, something simple to plug into that just plain sounds great

If you have players who will want to tweak EQ for their sound, the most universal preamp might be something like a Tone Hammer, which has sweepable mids and a dirty channel (if no one would want dirt, maybe the MXR M81 gets the job done for less)

blindrabbit likes this.
  5. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I own GK amps and cabs, but not the Plex. However, if having the GK sound and feel is important to you, I suspect the Plex will be hard to beat. GK never fails to deliver their signature sound in anything I've ever played or owned from them.

For purely direct work I like the BDDI or PDDI, Tone Hammer and MXR M80 - they all offer a little something different. Even for those who aren't typically big Sans Amp fans, it's hard to argue that the BDDI and PDDI don't do a pretty decent job when there is no head and cab in the equation.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  6. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    The Broughton Tube DI is fantastic!!! IMG_20170211_222548.

blindrabbit likes this.
  7. +1, Tone Hammer.

Al Kraft likes this.