Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Upright Bass Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Subculture13, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I am getting confident enough in my upright playing that I want to start using it live. Does any amp manufacturer make an amp that is made just for upright? I could go with an acoustic amp like a Roland or something, but didnt know if it would be voiced right for it. I could use a good tiltback bass amp, but again, didn't know if it would work right. I don't need XLR in's or phantom power, it's an electric upright with a good preamp already. I want to hear options from all price ranges. I am in north america though, so some esoteric brand from Bolivia might not be the best thing to suggest for me.

2. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    The SWR Baby Blue is supposed to be a great upright bass combo (electric bass combo amp too). It's pretty expensive for such a small amp, but I hear it does a great job.

[​IMG]

3. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Thanx, but I am going to pass on anything SWR. I have this unfounded fear of them since several have tried to kill me and my friends.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The AI Clarus head, or AI Contra combo, or the new AI Focus or one of the EA iAmps. The EA Wizzy or CXL112 cabs are especially well suited to electric upright. Any of these rigs would make a good "acoustic" rig too, but have upright usage firmly in mind in their designs. I'd been wrestling with lots of options for my EUB, but the EA stuff seems to have solved things for me.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    you check check out the newbie links in the amplification forum over at the DB section - lots of good info there.

Goodluck in your search.

6. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    LOL! I would love to hear the story some time! :p

7. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I hear alot about the Clarus, but I couldnt find the brand. AI is it? I'll definitely try to check that out.

As for the SWR story.... Let's just say that I got launched about 10 feet backwards and off the stage (right over the monitor) by touching the metal chassis of one. Blue sparks came off it a good couple inches. It went up in a ball of fire and it ignited all 4 of my 10's at the same time, can you say cone of fire?

I met the bass tech for a very prominent artist who endorses SWR. He does not touch them if they are plugged in without first donning a welders leather glove. He actually keeps one in the back of the rack on a hook, for anytime he needs to adjust the knobs. He's paranoid of it cuz it almost killed him once. Hospitalized in the middle of a major festival tour. That was more than enough for me, I am permanently turned off. I dont care what anyone says about them improving QC and all that crap, a few near death experiences were enough for me.

Jim Dedrick likes this.
  8. Passinwind

I hear alot about the Clarus, but I couldnt find the brand. AI is it? I'll definitely try to check that out.

Try www.urbbob.com for info on the Clarus and the EA stuff. Bob's a Talkbass deWd, and a great guy to work with. His links page alone makes a site visit worthwhile.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

You beat me to it !

10. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Cool, Thanx for the link.

11. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    AI can be ordered through Long & McQuade?? Kick ass, my search just might be over.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah,

what happened?

but yea, Acoustic Image all the way. but for a cool rig, try a Clarus 1 head w/ an Acme B1. incredibly transparent with TONS of big fat low end. sounds exquisite with my 5 string Eminence EUB.

wanna go high dollar? try an all tube 60 watt Alessandro Basset Hound bass head. hook that up to any cab of your choice, and prepare to holler for momma!

www.acousticimg.com
    www.acmebass.com
    www.alessandro-products.com/amp-basset.html

13. ZonMaster

ZonMaster

Jun 18, 2004
    maybe Kansas
    I'll ditto the Baby Blue for ease. I'd still consider it despite the iminent threat to personal health. You might try the 'double bass' forum. I unloaded a Trace TA50R for my acoustic guitar to feed the Eden bass habit and have kicked around the idea of trying the Bose L1 Cylindrical Radiator for the ol' Taylor six. I kinda think it might be an option for string bass as well with the sub. The downside: $2K and haven't heard any personal experiences. The electric consensus is thumbs down. But it might just be quirky enough to work for the double. 11 years ago :eek: I pushed my upright (jazz ensemble in college) through a 2x15. :rollno: But I survived despite myself. There's nothing like the experience of toting a double bass AND a 2x15 cab around. :bawl: Best of luck.

14. Passinwind

I recently saw a show done mainly using the Bose system. The system owner, and the acoustic upright player, both deemed it inadequate for URB in that band, which was percussion-heavy. The owner said it was OK for bluegrass or lounge jazz for URB though. He loves the system, but I was not convinced. :eyebrow:

15. ZonMaster

ZonMaster

Jun 18, 2004
    maybe Kansas
    I would think it would shine in a lounge jazz/small ensemble environment. Too bad it's not versatile enough to be "the amp". The size is a drawback too it would seem. Ditch the Bose sub and replace it with the Baby Blue! Voila! Best of both worlds! For $2K a guy has to convince himself it's great. Especially when there's not a chance in Missouri ;) he'll unload it and not take a beating.

16. Passinwind

Ditch the Bose sub and replace it with the Baby Blue!

Aye, that'd be an improvement. The guy I mentioned ran through an SWR Strawberry Blonde, which sounded quite nice for what he was doing. I've played my EUB through a little Fender Acoustasonic
    amp, which was cool until the headroom gave out.

17. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo

Yeah, I think I'll have to get one of those with a SOLID GOLD CHASSIS. Ya know, $50000 isn't really that much for a head, is it.

;)

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe,

well, FYI, mine was high end, but not the "bling'd out" model. still, tho the wattage is low, the price isnt out of this world. not nearly Phil Jones wild.

19. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I'll second Jokerjkny's recommendation of an AI Clarus with an Acme B-1. I use this rig for both my carved bass and an Eminence EUB with wonderful results. It is perfect for small duo's, jazz sextets or modern kick-ass big bands. Light too. Can't say enough about the wonderful tone and deep lows you get out of it, and still you can get the notes to sound sort of "square" or "blocky" so that they cut through the mix beautifully.
    Erik Hansen. Los Angeles

20. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I'll third Joker's Clarus with the Acme B1. It's still my favorite upright combination.