1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best US Made Fender Jazz - Not Custom Shop?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theevilplankton, May 24, 2018.

1. I'm in the market for a nice US-made Fender Jazz.

Obviously got the new Professional range, American Vintage, Geddy Lee...or used AVRI, Standard...?

Cant stretch near Custom Shop, so I'd be interested in which Jazz you guys believe to be the best of the bunch.

Thoughts?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. "Best" based on what features? Do you like modern or vintage styling? Neck radius? Passive? Active?

All those USA Fenders are all made well for production guitars, it's more about what you are looking for. Personally I really like the prior AVRI line, but that's my taste. Good luck!

soulman969 likes this.
  3. JtSD619

JtSD619

Nov 10, 2011
    San Diego
    American Elite Jazz...Natural finish please :thumbsup:

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I’d get a 10ish year old American Standard.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    American Elite.

Snowglo likes this.
  6. Jazz4Me

Jazz4Me Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Central Illinois
    I own a 62 AVRI and a new Elite. I've played the AM Pro but not the US Geddy (but I'd like to).
    Of the two I own, if you were to ask which is best, I'd respond "it depends". They're very different instruments. The 62 is what you'd expect. Vintage feel, vintage type tone. The basic character of the instrument doesn't change regardless of pickup balance or tone settings. The Elite, however, is very modern in feel and tone. Small changes in pickup blend and tone changes can yield a widely different character. So which is best is really dependent on the context of music.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I like the AVRI series (or whatever it is called now) but I am into that 60s spacing and neck profile. You might hate those features... and heel truss rod access.

8. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I've never loved active Fender Basses. I bought a Highway One and added a Sadowsky outboard preamp. I'm happy.

Pbassmanca and baTassi like this.
  9. Love the vintage look and feel, but love modern usability......dilemma!

10. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Have you considered putting together your own bass? For instance, you could get an AVRI P-Bass body and American Fender neck of your choice from TB classifieds, eBay, Reverb, etc. Then, you could purchase pickups and a preamp that gives you a modern tone. The rest of the parts are relatively inexpensive and easy to source.

Of course, a downside to this is that a parts bass doesn't generally hold its value as well as a stock bass. If you are going to keep the bass for the long haul, however, then this may be a great option for you.

Pbassmanca and Birdbrain like this.
  11. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    All personal preference. The elite of perhaps a limited edition are top of the range in some aspects. I prefer the US Geddy, but don’t think you can go wrong with any of the choices. The American Pro is really nice too.

12. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    With Fenders, IME, the “best” thing to do is go play a lot of them and don’t pull the trigger until you have what you want. They are production basses. Some are quite definitely better than others.

13. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Isn't that what the American Originals are? Vintage looking but with modern fretboard radius, pickups and hardware?

14. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
  15. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    To me the best Jazz bass that Fender has ever made is the MIJ Geddy Lee. I haven't ever played the MIA Geddy but If MIA is really important to you, you should try to check one out. As others have said I think it's important to play a lot of them and find the one that speaks to you.

16. Snowglo

Snowglo Pro Aris et Focis Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    U.S. Military endorsement since 1984
    The new American Originals are pretty sweet. Awesome necks! Had one for a couple weeks, but swapped it out for a new American Elite. The AM Original was a tad on the dark side tone wise for me. The new Elite's are monsters! The first time I plugged it in I thought it was in active mode because of the monstrous tone and output.....not the case. It was in passive. I think the only thing with the Elite's people may not care for is the compound neck profile.

FenAmEliteJazz4BLKMAPLE0399FRT.jpg

BrentSimons likes this.
  17. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I like the Adam Clayton basses, either the green or the purple, I will avoid any active.

18. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    Great advice! :):thumbsup:

19. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    Okay - I feel like being a rebel today - but the best American made Jazz is a Sadowsky NYC. As I noted in earlier posts, every time I hear someone playing a Sadowsky live, they sound worlds better than any Fender. In Nashville, there are lot of guys that are playing them too. Yes - they aren't Fender, but they follow the same basic configuration.

b_carville likes this.
  20. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    No answer for the question. Everybody buys what they likes. I bought and liked the Jaco signature.

Pbassmanca and Tom Baker like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021