Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best use of effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by basegetar, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Who do you think makes the best use of effects or what song do you think has the best use of effects? My vote goes to "All Mixed Up" by 311, I love that low down wah sound, it's crazy.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Justin Chancellor makes the best use of effects. o wait. i have to say that little IMO dont i? ok. IMO

3. Christian Wolstenholme ( Muse ) is the god of distortion usage. period.

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Jamerson

;)

5. actually im pretty sure thats a keyboard and not the bass... you can hear the clean bass while thats happening and it just doesnt really sound like a real bass wah or filter sound at all (the video shos someone playing keyboard and it looks like that is what he is playing)

6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    you have got to have the worst sig ever.

7. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I personally think that he gets very creative with the effects, creating a large soundscape that furthers the song along, I especially love his use of the whammy pedal.

8. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    Agreed. Listen to the Lateralus CD and THAT is how you're supposed to play bass with effects, IMHO.

9. whats wrong with my sig?

10. Ahem... Let us not forget about the great pioneer of effects, the Stanly Clark of the envelope filters and modular synthesis; Bootsy Collins!

11. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    justin chancellor, by far...

12. yup...I vote for Justin....he does some great stuff. I love it all. So did Paul but he wasn't really about the effects like Justin.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Bootsy

Bill Laswell

Robert Sledge

Chris Squire

14. :D :D :D

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I find it quite amusing, actually. A little long and drawn out, but the first time I read it, it really cracked me up.:D

On to the effects--I have to agree with Pollybass on this one (even though we don't agree on how much power is needed in a bass rig:p :D ). Justin Chancellor makes the best use of effects on bass that I have heard.

16. Awww, well, whatever, it sounds cool... :( I coulda swore I heard strings rumbling or something. Well... sigh, then I second the vote for Christian Wolstenholme, he was actually my first choice then I was like, whoa wait, I love All Mixed Up's crazy sexy cool sound! And htag, why does bass have to have an assigned role in music? I mean, if we stuck to our "assigned roles" we'd be playing root notes or if we were lucky a little walking bassline. I mean, I really don't use effects that much when I'm playing with people unless the event calls for it, and yeah I suppose that is what I mean by the best use of effects.

17. That's why I called this thread the best use of effects htag, because it fits the song best. I'm not saying who has the loudest most distorted effect, I'm saying who used an effect and made it fit. I'm not talking about our "roles" in music.

18. Bootsy gets my vote.

My best use of any effect is when I killed a centipede with my old guitar players Wah pedal.

19. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    :D

20. maybe

maybe

Oct 19, 2008
    8 years passed. What's your opinion today?
    Yeah I'm a gravedigger.