1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best used car or crossover with AWD under $20k

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mattsk42, Nov 5, 2018.

1. 1. Must be dependable. Very heavy weighted towards Lexus or Acura.
    2. Must be "luxury". Basically, nav/leather/driver memory settings are required.
    3. Newer than 2011
    4. AWD
    The faster the better. CRV, Rav4, and a few others are ruled out because of the slowness.

So far, BMW 3 series, Lexus IS, Audi Q5, Mazda CX-5 (loaded) are at the top of the list. Any opinions on these cars would be great too.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Unless you have a local mechanic you can trust, BMWs are very expensive to maintain.

Farseer, MJ5150 and Funky Ghost like this.
  3. 73BLow

73BLow Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2017
    Central MA
    Not on your list, but my wife's Infiniti G37x has been very reliable. Scheduled maintenance, brakes, and tires - that's it. Purchased brand new in 2013. 330hp AWD grabs and goes.

Nav, heated leather seats, two driver seat memory, snow mode, moonroof, factory Bose sound system is nice.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  4. I do actually have the perfect situation mechanic I trust, but I'd rather not use that option! :)

Are they more expensive than Audi or Lexus to maintain? What makes them that way?

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    If you can find something that meets your criteria and says Toyota on it, you’re good. That Lexus badge for several thousand more will get you a Lexus badge.

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Audi A series can come in your price range. A3 hatchback is a great gear hauler.
    Also the more upscale Subarus.

GregC likes this.
  7. A Jeep Grand Cherokee. The top models are very nice inside, they run practically forever, and there is no better 4WD on the market. Very durable, too. My 1990 Grand Cherokee has 184,000 miles on it and runs like a watch.

Fast? Find an SRT model with the Hemi. Not great on gas, but oh, lawdy!!

I'm a big BMW and Audi fan, and they have plenty of crossovers - AWD, not 4WD like the Jeep. The Audi Q5 is a top seller and impresses me.

Hey, if it's really a nice ride with power, it's not going to be the least expensive to maintain. A does not equal B.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Those Audi's look tight, but they seem like an expensive vehicle to maintain and repair when needed.

-Mike

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    $150 an hour labor charge.

10. A Subaru Legacy GT?

The Subarus are wildly popular here in Spokane, our winter driving conditions can be shiite...

BigDanT, MCF and dBChad like this.
  11. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Used Subaru

DirtDog, BigDanT and MCF like this.
  12. Farseer

Farseer Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2014
    Parker, Colorado
    I manage a auto repair shop for a living. The cars on your list are pretty good with the exception of the BMW. They are very expensive to maintain. Lots of problems. I would look into mercedes-benz. They are great vehicles and really don't have that many problems. They depreciate greatly so buying used you can find some really good deals.

13. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    2 Chads in a row recommending Subaru. Do you need any ore convincing?

Chad Michael likes this.
  14. Problem with Subarus is that they are S - L - O - W.

He wants "fast". IMO that means 0-60 in 6 seconds or less, and the only Subarus made that can meet that are the WRX series.

2015 Surbaru Crosstrek time recorded by Motor Trend was 10.3 seconds 0-60. My entire family test drove one but walked away. None of us could live with that.

To be fair, Subaru makes a great vehicle, and they are very durable and reliable. They're just really, really s-l-o-w.

mattsk42 likes this.
  15. Farseer

Farseer Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2014
    Parker, Colorado
    Subaru's are pretty good cars. However, if your looking for luxury, Subaru is not a good choice. German cars just drive so different than Japanese. Once you go German......:)

mattsk42 and OldDog52 like this.
  16. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    So get a WRX STI and run more boost than tire pressure!

Chad Michael likes this.
  17. Have you driven a turbo era GT? If so, fair enough.

Interesting side note: work friend has a highly modified, but street legal Legacy GT that puts 350 hp to the tires. AWD dyno slip to prove it. Does a 12.9 in the 1/4 mile. Of course, that involved bigger turbo, injectors, intercooler, exhaust, etc. etc.

dBChad likes this.
  18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    MB, BMW, VW, Audi..... all pretty much the same to me. Unless you have a bottomless wallet and/or are handy with a wrench, I would avoid any of them.

mattsk42 likes this.
  19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Throw enough money at anything and you can make it fast.

Years ago we had a TB member here with an 11 second Nissan Sentra...... took mega bucks to go that fast.

20. Agreed. Throw enough money at a fast stock vehicle and it will be fast, too. I'm not saying the OP should buy a rig and mod it, but I will say that I disagree with the generalization that all Subarus are slow....

dBChad likes this.