1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best used or new Bass Head for under $800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by campbems, Mar 14, 2016.

1. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I am currently using a TC Electronic RH450 head with my 2x12 cab and 410 cab and liking it. I want to find a good used solid state or Hybrid amp either used or new a around 5-800 dollars. What would be a good choice. I kind of intrigued by the videos of the MarkBass Randy Jackson Tube amp but haven't gotten to play one. The problem is whatever i get will be buying without playing so I'm hoping to get some good recommendations from my fellow TB'ers.

2. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    May want to read thru the MESA Subway and Genzler Magellan threads. Both excellent products.

These companies technologies in opinion of many have moved ahead of others including markbass

3. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Aguilar TH500. For me, anyway.

4. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    At the risk of getting called their poster boy, Carvin has a good sale going now. Mine arrives tomorrow.

5. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    subway- no question

Gearhead17 and campbems like this.
  6. lawjazz1

lawjazz1

Sep 7, 2013
    I would check out Carvin. I have two, BX1500 and BX700. I am contantly amazed how much less expensive Carvin bass amps are compared to other makes. Oh, they also sound great!

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you like the TC, you'll love the PF800, since Ampeg was obviously the inspiration for the sound of the TC stuff :D

8. Kinsman

Kinsman

Jan 6, 2016
    Montana
    I wish mine were. I loved my PB300 and am saving for that BX700

BadExample likes this.
  9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Mesa D800

Gearhead17, Crusher47 and 1954bassman like this.
  10. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I wanted bi amp. SWaMBO/wife likes bling. For $100 over the capale bx1500 believe it or not I ordered the bx1600 for the bling factor. Well worth it if my tactics make it welcome in our home. The 700 watt would be plenty for powe and has the bling. 1600 could cost me in driver replacement too.

Now to turn plywood and parts into cabs...

11. Kinsman

Kinsman

Jan 6, 2016
    Montana
    image.
    Funny.
    I am going to build a cabinet too; Greenboy and I think 12/6.

Like I said, I loved my PB300; I know that 700 is a great amp...but I'm not at all sorry that it looks really cool too.

BadExample likes this.
  12. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I've been using the TC Electronic RH450 and like it and wondered is the Mesa Subway D-800 that much better for the difference in price?

13. What is wrong with the sound that needs improvement? You can get virtually anything used in your budget. All you can get from your question is what everyone else's favourite is.

backin82, steelbed45 and moreblues like this.
  14. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I have a GK RB1001RBII and an Ampeg Portaflex PF800. I'd recommend either one, as both are phenomenal and well under $800.

However, that being said I'm gassing hard for a Genzler Magellan 800! You can get a fantastic deal on them at www.bassstringsonline.com with the TB user pricing VIP program. It would actually be a little less than a new Mesa 800. Any of those 4 amps would be outstanding, but if you ask me, the Magellan has the edge.

MoeTown1986 and ExaltBass like this.
  15. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Mesa D800

Crusher47 likes this.
  16. G-K, Mesa, Ampeg, Peavey, Aguilar, Orange, Carvin, Fender, Genzler, Hartke the world of choices are wide in that price range. What sound are looking for? Do you want a "real" tube preamp or a token tube preamp, SS preamp, what kind of amp power you think you may need, what cabs will be driven by the amp head?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    drummer5359 likes this.
  17. Roger M

Roger M

Apr 26, 2012
    Aguilar TH 500

bass10bfb and MoeTown1986 like this.
  18. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    My faves:

Aggie TH500 for low to medium volume work. Pushed hard, it gets a bit woolier than I care for.

GK MB fusion 800 for loud stuff, with a big wide open low end and a cutting high end.

Mesa D-800 for loud stuff, with a tight (but full) low end, an articulate mid-range, and high end clarity without getting brittle. Check the thread about it; the _voicing_ control amazes me, with its range. Def not the usual mid scoop knob. This is the one I'm gigging now, and lovin' it with my active JJ bass.

bikeplate and MoeTown1986 like this.
  19. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Im more than happy with my Warwick LWA1000.

Skeptismo and TMARK like this.
  20. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I will be playing through a TC 212 and 410. There will be times I won't need near the 500-800 watts. I want killer low end and clarity.