Best Value For Money Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by purfektstranger, Apr 29, 2005.

1. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    What is the best value for money bass you own/have ever owned? By value for money I mean exactly that.....the best all around (playing, sounding, built, looking etc) bass for your money.

This might generate some laughs but my bvmb is a 1985 Ibanez Roadstar II RB630. I purchased it with a hardcase for 100 dollars. The thing had been sitting in a case for 12 years. After a complete disassembly, cleaning and light sanding of the frets ( to remove the rust :eyebrow: ). I put it back together, had the intonation adjusted and now it looks and plays great. No dents or wicked gouges either. This is definitely my best value for money bass.

2. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    My current main axe is by far the best value... I paid $125 for a Fender JP-90 with a hard case. The thing was pretty abused, but the neck was in great shape. I had to rewire the pickups and clean the whole thing, and after oiling the neck and repairing the pickguard (by using a very wide skirt washer over the pot) it was one heck of a bass!

I have since replaced the pickguard (went through Chandler guitars) and it looks like a pretty spiffy bass now. No-one would ever guess that I got it as a GHETTO axe! :hyper:
  3. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    The best values on basses I've ever had are my main players now. '81 G&L L2000e and custom magohany greenburst ASAT, both bought from people I consider "friends" for fractions of what they're worth to me and much less than market value.

I also believe my Lakland 44-01 to be a great value at regular street prices. Mine's a heck of a player.
  4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    MTD kingston, the new active models are great. Also on the used market, like mike said G&L (which have gone up recently), and musicman basses are the best bang for the buck period.
  5. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    While is wasnt cheap, my Dingwall AB-I so far has been the best bass value I've come across. Skjold basses are the same way as far as his lower end stuff being of great value for the price. Actually, all of his stuff is reasonably priced for what you get out of it I think.
  6. slagbass

Apr 5, 2005
    Yes, I understood the question. :cool:
  7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Got a '94 MIJ Fender Foto Flame P-bass last summer for $250 and an Ibanez SRX500, which to me was nearly worthless. The FF is well built, plays decently, and NAILS that 60's P-bass sound. To get that tone in a new Fender would require an American Vintage model for over $1,000, so this was a great value. My 2004 American Series is awesome, but doesn't do vintage P-bass anything like the FF.
  8. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    A couple years ago I purchased a brand new but discontinued Ibanez SR640 for about $270 from a dealer on eBay.

Although I eventually sold it about a year later for $250, it is by far the best value I ever got for my money as far as basses are concerned. It played very well and the factory set-up was absolutely perfect for me.
  9. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    My Carvin B4.
  10. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    mtd kingston k5 bran new for 250. ive yet to play a bass in that price range that sounds half as good. for some styles it sounds better then my peavey cirrus...
  11. Reverend Rumblefish, by far. They're the best playing, feeling and sounding basses I've ever owned, and I paid a total of $1250 for two of them. I've played numerous basses that cost five times as much as a 'Fish, and weren't nearly as good.
  12. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    My Yamaha BB1200 routed for a lane poor pu. Bought for $200 at a pawn shop with the hsc and a fuzz pedal. There are still some good pawn shop finds out there.
  13. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Am I correct in assuming that the original querant as asking us for our opinion on best-value-for-money NEW basses? Because my personal best-value-for-money bass is a used bass I recently got.
  14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Used Fender 2001 MIA Deluxe Jazz for $550. I'm embarressed to say how much I've spent on end basses only to end up with a Fender that I'm just as likey to pick up and take to the gig out of 4 other "better" basses.
  15. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I bought a Fender Aerodyne II from GuitarTrader for $470 or so. Its playability and setup are better than many boutique instruments that I've tried. It looks and sounds great too.

I had a Washburn XB900 that I bought new for $400. It was one of the U.S. made ones. Amazing playability, great looking finish, and it couldn't have weighed more than 7.5 lbs. I got rid of it because I didn't like the tone.
  16. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada value for money bass period. Could be new....could have been sitting in Uncle Jeds attic since 1962....any condition. Best value for money bass you have ever owned or still own.
  17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My F Bass BN6. Picked it up for a VERY low price, with the idea that I could resell it for a lot more if I wasn't totally happy with it.

Well, it is one bass that I have no intentions of selling. In fact, I am thinking of sending it to George F. for a complete refinish (I am not crazy about the purple/blue color of it, and it has a couple of nicks on the headstock). I have talked to him about doing it, and even with what it would cost me to do that, I will only have about half the cost of a new BN6 invested in this one.

And I thought only Brad could find deals like this.......... :D ;)
  18. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    In that case, it's easily the recently acquired bass I mention in this Warwick thread: and gush about in my LiveJournal.

A honey of a bass at a great price.
  19. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    My CIJ Precision, a fantastic bass for the price I paid.

My Wal was a great buy, considering they now cost three times what I paid for it new.
  20. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    If you're including pre-owned basses, then Carvins are way up there. They're a good deal when puchased new, and ridiculous steals when found mint used. Here's an example. $375 on Ebay.

Attached Files: