Best Value in high end custom basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supernaut, Aug 13, 2003.

1. not like I can even afford one that is considered a good value but I was just woundering what people think is the most bang for buck high end instrument maker these days. I know places like MTD and fodera make amazing stuff but it is pretty spendy, probably well worth it but spendy. what are your thoughts on this. mabey some luthiers we have not heard much of.
  2. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I think Hanewinckel provides excellent bang for the buck. There are basses I like more than my Hanewinckel, but they all cost significantly more.

Hanewinckel website

3. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    kinal basses of canada seem to have a good rep, also stambaugh designes are cheeper custom basses I've never played one, kinal have bang to em, they seem to be the best deal. eh, probably someone with more experience wil be able to give you the info on the gear more than me. just what i think.
  4. For a fully custom Alembic, you get great tone for only $18,000+ :rolleyes:
  5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    are they really that expensive?
  6. They can be. Warrior basses (and guitars) are well known for being around $24,000.

Now, why you would spend that much for 1 bass when you could have 8 Sadowsky's or 4 high end Spectors, is beyond me. They don't even sound that great, IMO.
  7. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Wellll.....yes and no.

You can easily spec out a Series II that
    lists for $18 - 25,000. What you actually pay depends on the dealer you work with.

My custom
    listed for around $11,000. I paid nowhere near that. I paid A LOT, but nowhere near $11K

8. Was it worth it? Or if you had another chance, would you get 3 Sadowsky's or whatever?

Sexy lookin bass btw
  9. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Garrett - I know this may come as a shock, but some people don't like Sadowsky's or Spectors, me being one of them. I agree to an extent on the Alembics, Warriors, etc. but just because it isn't worth it to you doesn't mean that it isn't worth it. Everytime I see one of your posts it's "Wow! That's great but why didn't you get a Sadowsky?" It's pretty apparent that you <3 Spectors and Sadowsky but it's also pretty unnecessary to ask others if "it was worth it".
    Sorry if this comes off as mean, it just sort of bothers me.

Now, to be on topic I really believe that Rob Elrick's stuff is a great bargain, more specifically the Bolt-on models and Hybrid models. Awesome basses for not alot of moolah.

I don't know if they're considered boutique, but the Dingwall Afterburners are the among best basses I've ever played (My Zebra Dingwall holding #1 :) ).
  10. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    It was worth it. I ordered it knowing that I would not sell it unless it absolutely sucked or if I suddenly found myself living paycheck to paycheck.

I'd owned 4 other Alembics before ordering this, so I knew that the suck factor was a non-issue. I also knew exactly what I wanted. That's what I ordered and it's what I got.

I doubt anyone else would buy this bass from me for much more than half what I paid for it, but, as I said, no intentions of ever selling it.

We now return you to your previously scheduled thread ;)

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Darrin Huff and Roscoe have some very reasonable prices for higher-end customs, although Roscoe is a little limited in custom options. Not much, but you can't go crazy with them.
  12. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I would have to say the best bang for the buck on a custom is the Tony Kinal bass. They are awesome pieces of work. You can fill out an order form from the website and send in a check (I believe for 1/3 and he will start building it. His finishes, wood selection and craftmenship are superb. He was also friendly when I had quesions about my bass. I hope to order a custom jazz bass sometime in the future.
  13. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Benavente all the way!:D

Check out my new Vintage vortex

14. Because you are the first person to ever tell me that you don't like Sadowsky or Spector. All the people that have told me, or that I've read about, that didn't like Sadowsky prefered Spectors (namely PollyBass).

In this case, I was just asking why someone would pay $24,000 for a bass when they could get several other basses (sorry, sad/spec were the only high priced basses I could think of).

As for the other times I mentioned it, it was relavent.

And I asked Malthumb "if it was worth it" because, well, I wanted to know. Is that a crime? He said the list for the bass was $11,000 so yea I was wondering if it was worth the money.
  15. Dude that bass is sick. Congratulations.

Ah, cool. If I don't make it in the music biz, I'll never see the daylight of a custom Alembic.

Too bad Alembics are so damn expensive.
  16. to add to my topic here. I think those Benavente's are pretty sweet. the vintage vortex and that 51P they got are pretty sexy.

in looking around myself I think that Nordstrand is making some pretty sweet stuff at some very reasonable prices also.

people have talked about the "is it worth if factor" on real spendy basses like alembics and stuff. the way I look at if it makes you happy and you plan on keeping it for a lifetime then it is more than worth it. if something cheaper does it just as well for then more power to ya. I say buy and be happy and the rest be damned. :) some good responses though thanks. I didn't know about several luthiers mentioned.
  17. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Elrick, lots of innovation for not as much as the other high end.

and Jerzy Drozd!! i'm still amazed at the level of craftsmanship i see with these basses, yet get completely knocked out at how little they cost! get 'em while you can.
  18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think conklins are the best value that i've seen, although there are other builders out there building nice stuff for very reasonable prices - hanewinkel and benevente come to mind quickly. conklin's are my favorite, though, obviously :)
  19. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'd say Benevente, Eshenbaugh, & Pulcinella.
  20. Of all the basses I've played, Carey Nordstrand is building some of the most incredible instruments for a very reasonable price. The craftsmanship, playbility and attention to detail is stunning. I've had 2 Fodera dealers tell me the craftsmanship on my Nordstrand is better than the Foderas they sell - for much less than half the price.

Get 'em while you can.