Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best value in kitchen knives?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Sep 26, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm gradually getting this and that together for my kitchen, and I would really like to get a quality set of knives. I don't want to spend more than I need to on the super-top-of-the-line-probably-in-diminishing-returns price range knives, but I want a set of good, balanced knives that will last a long time and I'll enjoy using.

The only input I've gotten is that Cutco, while nice, are overpriced.

Thoughts?

Another option I was thinking was that, instead of spending money on a whole set, I would just get one _really_ good chef's knife.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Nice site. Do you know if the tine goes the full length of the handle on the set you got?

3. Not entirely sure, it's a molded handle with no rivets....

I could ask the manufacturer...

edit: I can't find a website...I'll look for the box tonite & see if there's additional info.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Global knife prices in the US are way better than in Germany, so that's an option.
    Of course, you can't go wrong with a Wüsthof, I also know some people who swear by F Dick (and no, not because of the name :D).

In that price range you can choose what fits your hand best.

Ginsu knifes are sometimes fakes:
    http://www.kochmesser.de/billigmesser.html#english

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I like the one really good 10" chef knife idea. Although, a bread knife and a small paring knife are also very handy.

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    It really is kinda ridiculous how much you CAN spend on them. Especially if you get into the ceramic ones and such. You can easily spend a few hundred on one knife.

My mom picked me up a set of decent ones recently, Ill see if I can find out what kind. They arent top of the line or anything, but they are well balanced and stay sharp a long while.

7. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    I actually work for Cutco and they are way underpriced compared to Henkels and Wusthof when we practically offer the same product. Henkel's complete set cost around $3,000-3,500 while Cutco's is $1,700. Also no one can beat the Cutco Forever guarantee and we also have the dd edge. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Im not trying to send like a salesperson but they really are the best knives out there.

8. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Cutco does have a lifetime warrantee I think, a friend of mine messed his up and sent it back and they sent him a new one.

9. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    Its actually called the Forever Guarantee. We call it that because a lifetime warrany only last for someones lifetime, when we guarantee it forever so you can hand it down to your kids and they can hand it down to their kids and we still stand behind it. Basically if your cutco ever needs sharpening we sharpen it for free. If it ever needs fixing or replacing we do it for free. Also if you destroy your Cutco through abuse then instead of making you buy another knife we replace for 50%. But i dont know how bad you have to abuse it because Cutco has replaced knives that have been very badly abused for free.

10. I like good kitchen knives. In fact two of my older ones that I have had for 35 years were recently stolen and I am looking at spending hundreds of dollars to replace them. But if I were starting out again, I would buy 2 knives, a 10 to 12 inch Chef's knife and a 5 inch boning knife. You can use the boning knife for a paring knife and most of your smaller cutting needs. The big knife would get used for veggies almost exclusively. The blade on the chef's knife should be relatively thin and flexible. You are not buying it as a substiture for a cleaver. Learning to use them and take advantage of their shapes and purposes is as important as getting good ones.

Since you are on your on and on a budget, I highly recommend Chicago Cutlery. They are relatively cheap and relatively good. You can spend your money on Sabatier or Wusthof later when you know more. Unlike a lot of stainless knives, the Chicago Cutlery ones will take an edge. Speaking of which get a good stone and a good steel. My preference in stone is a Soft Arkansas, the hard ones are good for finishing (almost polishing), but they take too long to put an edge on a kitchen knife. And get a good size stone, at least 1.5 inches by 5 inches long. Bigger is better. You will cut yourself severely trying to use one of the small stones. Then learn to sharpen the knives. That is an art that took me years to learn.

I should add that the last time I bought a Chicago Cutlery knife was about 15 years ago. They could have gotten better, or tanked since then.

11. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    OOH OOOH, get the Miracle Blades that they sell late at night on TV with Chef Tony. My uncle bought some, they're actually good.

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Buy the best knife you can afford. As was mentioned earlier, the upscale knives have lifetime warranties so you're basically getting the last knife you'll ever buy.

This argument holds true for most tools and such.

I use Sabatiers.

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Don't buy a set.

Buy two or three nice knives and learn how to use them well.

I have a 10 inch Henckels that I like, but I've been lusting after a global since I tried one at a friend's house. It's light and well balanced and has a very nice ergonomic design.

I'd suggest buying a 8" chef or santuko and then one smaller paring/utility knife...something around 4" would work.

Get one nice serrated knife big enough for bread, etc. and you'll be good to go.

Treat them well, keep them sharp, clean and covered when not in use. Cooking is SO much fun when your knives are good and sharp.

14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    +1

You can do just about everything with a good sized French/Chef's, a narrow slicing style knife and a parer.

You can get a cleaver down the road for BBQ ribs night.