1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best value small cab for te v-type head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by easternbull, Oct 30, 2010.

1. easternbull

easternbull

May 5, 2010
    Finland
    Would love to purchase a Bergantino HT112ER, SWR goliath jnr or EDEN 115DXLT for example, but they all cost around 650-750€ in Europe. My budget for a cab for my v-type head is only around 400-500€ max. Eden's ex-112 298€, SWR workingpro 395€ and the GK neo 115III 444€ and 115MBX 244€, are in within my budget.

So which is the best value cab for my trace ellot v-type head, just for home studio, practice and tiny gigs.

Tonewise im looking for something warm/organic but modern/clear at the same time, not to muddy and not to cold and clanky, a kind of growly/snarly tone I guess. Geddy Lee on Rush signals is a good example. I know my description of the tone is not of much help but at least you could give me some pointers on the cabs.

I play an Ibanez ATK 300, tuned down to C,G,C,F, for prog/jazz/hard rock.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    In this case, the "best" one is the one that sounds "best" to you. Take your amp to where these cabs are. plug 'em in, and use your ears to decide. Really.

3. easternbull

easternbull

May 5, 2010
    Finland
    That's the problem, no SWR or EDEN or KG dealers around, well EDEN in helsink, but thats a 6hour drive away. I realize the sound/tone is subjective, I'm more after a general description of the cabs and I guess a comparison in quality/features in realation to price.

Thank you so much for your reply, by the way. Any opinions on SWR midpric cabs vs. EDEN's?

Another example tonewise would be TOOL.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's just so subjective, and hard to put sound into words. I will tell you this though, speakers are the most important part of your rig, and if you were to try and skimp by with something, I wouldn't skimp on speakers- go with the best you can afford- but without testing them yourself, it's all just a guess.

5. when I go and try out cabs, I bring my bass/basses, amp head, effects that I own. That way I know what I am going to sound like when I get home.

6. easternbull

easternbull

May 5, 2010
    Finland
    That would be ideal, but like I said no dealer, no dice. Thats why I'm asking for your help and subjective opinions if you have tried/owned either of the cabs. At the moment I'm leaning towards the GK NEO115.

7. easternbull

easternbull

May 5, 2010
    Finland
    bump.

Another contender has arrived, EBS classic 4x10 cab for 693€, anyone tried one of these? Hard to find any reviews.

Most of the amps I've watched clips of all have a lot of clarity and punch, but every darn demovideo has someone playing slap/thumb style funk licks, with poppy clanky seinfeld esque tone.

The ebs cab might be the ticket not muddy when playing with low c,g,c,f tuning and punchy/clear but still a warmer/rounded tone.

GK 410MBE, looks like a good value deal for only 444€. Can't demo either, so help me out. Will be used with a Ibanez ATK300 and a TE V-type 600 head. For Geddy Lee signals era tone( I know 90% is in the fingers)Which one is it folks?!:meh:

8. easternbull

easternbull

May 5, 2010
    Finland
    we have a new contender, after starting 2 new threads to get feedback on warwick pro cabs and ebs classic cabs, I've taken a shine to the ampeg 410HLF cab. my only concern apart from the price tag is if it is compatible with my 600w v-type head?

since this is my first head after playing combos and pods for 13 years, I have to ask, is 600watts too much for the 410HLF(4ohms,500watts powerhandling)?:meh:

shipped to my door for 754€, even at 254€ over my initial budget it is very tempting. think I would have a great cab once and for all, instead of buying 2-3 cheap cabs and realizing I should have forked out in the first place. Since i'm not into slap/pop style, I think this would be a good fit.

9. easternbull

easternbull

May 5, 2010
    Finland
    finally after too many hours/weeks of searching, I found a used(but as new, still has 2year warranty) ampeg B 410HLF for 450€. I know it may not have the same quality/tone as the SVT 410HLF, but it was a good deal, new cost 690€!

Think this will be a good fit with the v-type head and another little all tube amp. the cab should also be able to handle my low C,G,C,F tuning.

Anyway thanks to all who have chimed in on this and all the other threads I've started. Will post reviews of all the gear once I give it a good run thru.

Cheers.:)

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    With that head, the first thing I'd look for is a nice used Trace 1153 or two. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :cool: