Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Valves for Mesa Boogie M2000 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Daveyboy, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Any Body out there who knows about replacing valves ?
    bought My M2000, second hand 2 yrs ago in UK sounds great but needs a bit of playing with to get some cool sounds from it. Anyway i think i may need to replace the valves as there is quite a bit of high end hiss coming out of it.
    Should I replace all the valves and if so what with ? (are there more than one type in there ?)

:help:

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You might want to PM Benjamin Strange (not sure about the spelling of his name).
    He has tons of Mesa gear (tube & SS).

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Preamp tubes are cheap; I suggest buying a few and trying different ones until you find what you like. There's only 3 in there (I think). Tone is subjective, and there's lots of great 12ax7's out there (12at7's might be fun too). Most will run about $8-$20 a pop, so experiment and let us know the results.

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Just a few suggestions:
    Avoid Chinese made tubes for bass (they sound good in some guitar amps, but tend to thin out the low end some for bass);
    Electro Harmonix are pretty good (esp. for rock -- though I didn't care for their treble in my Demeter, but I think that was circuit-specific to the Dem) (BTW, I think the EH's are the stock tubes in Mesa stuff);
    JJ Tesla - I haven't personally tried, but most people like them a lot.

For NOS tubes, do a search; there's plenty of info here on TB.

5. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    i own a mesa m2000 too and i run it with the EH valves, the tube pre gives me a very nice tone, you can touch the colored-tube tone.

6. Thanks for Info Guys - I'll try to get hold of some EH and see what happens !

:hyper:

7. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    can someone comfirm that the 3 tubes are all 12ax7 type ?

8. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    Since you're in the UK anyway, look around for some old used Mullards. I've bought quite a few used ones that test great, -I almost think you have to do something bad to actually kill one.

9. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I plan on changing the tubes in my M-2000, I'm going to try a Sylvaina jan 5751 in the V1 socket and a reissue Tung-Sol 12AX7 in the V2 socket and a reissue 12AX7 Mullard in the V3 socket ,,, it that doesn't sound good..... either go with all Tung-Sol ...or I'll get some NOS Sylvaina 12AX7's

10. Wyrm74

Wyrm74

Oct 28, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    I just re-tubed my M2000 with J & J's and they sound great. There are 3 tubes in there, all 12ax7.

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Hiss is not necessarily only produced by the valves. Resistors can cause it too. Pre-amp valves are very long lasting in normal use and don't need to be replaced very often.

Paul

12. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    I ordered three EH 12ax7 ;) let's ear how it will sound with them !

13. jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I got my tubes and here's a view of the amp with the cover off [​IMG]

14. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Subscribed.

I bought my M-2000 from a fellow TBer 2 years ago and I think it has the original tubes. The amp sounds great so I've never bothered to change them but this thread could be a great resource if and when I do. :smug:

15. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    someone know which tube do what in the head ?

16. jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Here's what I know ( I don't have a set of plans for this amp ...so I don't know exactly how the signal is routed ) .... the 2 tubes in the front are the pre amp tubes ( V1 & V2 ) the 12AX7 have 2 sides to them ...and I'm assuming they run the signal through both sides of each tube ... In my amp ... I've found running a 5751 NOS tube in V1 gives me a really nice clean warm tone ... in V2 I've put a Tung-Sol 12AX7 ... this tube gives a warm fat sound ... and the tube in the back (V3)is the driver tube for the power amp ... I put a Mullard 12AX7 in it as it has a very clean sounding sound ... I'll be hooking this up to some speakers sometime soon and I'll get back to give some feedback on this tube set-up

17. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    I've tried the EH, but I only have a very very weak sound when the EH are in...
    I've tried to only leave the EH in the driver position, with no tube on the tube pre, the sound is back normal (on FET mode)
    If i put one EH and the stock tubes, same as above, very very weak sound...
    someone have an idea ?

18. jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Well I've had a chance to play a few times with the new tubes in my amp ...here's the lowdown ...when I replaced the tubes in V1 & V2 Mesa had installed their SPAX7-A ( if you look on there website, these are used in "critical" applications ) and a plain 12AX7-A in the V3 driver tube ... The sound of these tubes ... was kinda stiff & brittle and a tad dark ..when you turned the gain on the tube channel and found the sweet spot at one volume setting. it would change at a louder setting and one could not find a so called sweetspot ...plus the break-up of the tube occurred very early and had a course crunch to it ... so when you played at lets say 11 o'clok on the main volume setting, the tube preamp had a not so very good sound to it ... I replaced V1 with a Slyvania Jan 5751 and a Tung-Sol 12AX7 in V2 ...I also replaced the Driver tube (V3) with a reissue Mullard 12AX7 ( I really didn't want to have tube-tone shaping in the driver stage ...and that why I used the Mullard ) ....with these tube changes, the result, is a whole differant amp ,the gain control is really controllable ...you can go from a mellow sound to a very nice tube crunch and there really is no sweetspot at any volume . the smoothness of the sound is like the old tubes amps, that I remember from the years ago .. it also warmed the sound up a tade ...so I'll say that these amps are very receptive to preamp tube changes ( the equipment that I used was a EVM 15 B speaker, in a EV designed TL-606 cabinet with an old Crate 4x10 ported cabinet ... with the tweeter turnrd off . the bass was a mid 1970's p-Bass with Seymore Duncan Quarter Pounder pick-ups ) ... the cost was reasonable and I like the changes