Best Video Game Ever!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by xcental34x, Feb 5, 2004.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Mario 64 is, imo, the best game ever made. How else could I spend 20 minutes chasing a yellow rabbit around a flooded basement trying to steal a star from it. What will they think of next.

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Doom 2.

And once Doom 3 comes out, that will be the greatest game ever.

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Being and RPG fan, my knee-jerk reaction would be to say "XENOGEARS!" and "SUIKODEN II!"(I haven't played Suikoden III yet, but I do own it), both for PS1. But, if we're talking about the best video game EVER...well, that depends. Do you mean the one that I enjoy the most even today? or the on that completely revolutionized my concept of video games.

Xenogears and Suikoden both have extremely engrossing storylines with lots of memorable chracters (ESPECIALLY Suikoden). Xenogears also showed that you didn't need to have the same old "Ancient evil threatens the planet" hackneyed storyline...even though that essentially was the story, they developed it much better than any other RPG I've played. You actually understood the character's motivations, and there was a legitimate reason why you were going all around the world doing these quests. Plus the fighting system was illin'!

Overall though, the one game I will always enjoy, is Super Mario 3. Without a doubt, the most addicting game ever. (After tetris)
  4. There are a few games that change my life forever...

Street Fighter II... RULES!!!
    Duke Nukem 3D!!!!! The coolest character ever!!!

my 2 cents
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    1) Rainbox 6 franchise.
    2) Madden

6. Not even a question in my mind:

Tecmo Super Bowl for NES. Not Tecmo Bowl, or Tecmo Super Bowl 3. Tecmo Super Bowl.

Greatest game ever.
  7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

For the uninitiated, you won't understand until you've played, plain and simple.
  8. Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings

Mike Tyson's Punch Out!
  9. kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    I'd have to go back to 8bit nintendo. Techmo Bowl - the original. Four plays. Drop back 50 yards and heave it. Mike Tyson's Punch Out. Contra. Zelda.

Mario Kart on Nintendo 64. I probably spent more time getting lit up with the guys playing that game in college than I did in class. I still have nightmares about red shells. 007 on the same system.

Any madden game.

Grand Theft Auto Vice City. When they come out with a new one of those that's pretty much going to tank the rest of the year for me.
  10. Final Fantasy. Kept me entertained for many a boring day. Just started on FF4, and I finally got onto the whole "You spoony bard!!!" thing. :D

Also, Vice City and Tony Hawk Underground is fast becoming a favourite. And if anyone remembers a game called Shadowrun (it was on the SNES, maybe other consoles,) that game pwned!
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    there are two games that never get old for me, that I can come back to as many times as I want, and they still have immense value.

1. Tetris
    2. Super Mario World
  12. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Forgot to add Dance Dance Revolution.

You either you get or you don't. If you don't, I pity you.
  13. Lufia 2, rise of the sinistrals. All i ever do here in college is practice, jam, and play video games, and whats better than an rpg with slap bass fills in the fight music?
  14. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Goldeneye on the N64 (favourite multiplayer ever)

Soul Caliber on the Dreamcast (favourite fight-em-up ever)

Total Annihilation on the PC (favourite strategy game)

I loved GTA: Vice City on the PS2. Me and my friends spent a not-insignificant part of our third year at university playing that. :crying:
  15. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Wow. I only started this post to say that Super Mario 64 is a ridiculously good game, and people took it as a best video game thread. LOL. THats awesome. Continue.
  16. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    1. Final Fantasy Tactics
    2. Chrono Trigger
    3. Gran Turismo 3 (Why isn't it June yet?)
    4. Final Fantasy III/VI
    5. Madden series
  17. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I will agree. I had quite a revelation the other day at the video game store- for the price of a new PS2 game, I could buy an N64, a controller, and two games. I always loved Mario 64, but never owned it. Maybe when I have more time over the summer...
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Console stuff, right?

For time spent, it's probably a tie between THPS 1 & 2. Also dug 3, and then moved away from the X-Box before I could get ahold of Underground.
    Flat out fun... Splinter Cell, man that game rules.
  19. General Custer's revenge changed my life.
    Brilliant gameplay.
  20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    What I like about the Tony Hawk series is that they got better each time!

although, 2 is arguably superior to 3, 4 definitely is better than 1,2, and 3 combined.

I never got a chance to play THUG, but I hear it's way different, not as insta-fun as the others.