Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best VINTAGE bass for slapping/sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jahsekou, Jan 8, 2005.

1. I want one of those Jack Casssidy basses, but I heard slapping makes them sound like crap after awhile

any suggestions??

2. Vintage bass for slapping? Hard to go wrong with a 60s / 70s Fender Jazz.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    first the Cassidy is a new model, not vintage other then it's made to look like a 60s semi hollow.

second, care to explain the "slapping makes them sound like crap after awhile" because that is one of the most outrages pieces of misinformation I've heard in a while.

If it was a store or player, please tell your source :D

Play a Cassidy and if you like the way it sounds and feels and plays... buy it.

4. ShamrayBass

ShamrayBass The Bass Custom Shop

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    i think what he is intimating is that any bass with a trapeze tailpiece and a bridge that is held on only by string tension is not going to withstand heavy slapping (the bridge position is going to slip)

I have never tested the theory myself, but i've also heard this said about the Hofner Beatle Bass (that you can't slap on it worth beans...)

BTW I'd second the old jazz bass notion :)

5. I like my MIJ 60's(?) RI P bass for slap. Didn't Louis Johnson play one early on?

6. The cassidy doesnt have a trapeze tailpiece/floating bridge combo... It has a bridge that is screwed to the top.

7. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Believe so... But his best work was done on a StingRay.

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Sense slapping is a relitively new thing (late 70's,before it really caught on) most true vintage basses 60's Jazzes , P Basses ,early Gibsons, Hofners were not desighned for slapping, they were set up for a flatwound thumping dead string sound to emulate an upright. You can slap with them, but most guys slapping even with early (60's) jazz basses are playing heavily modified basses. Even the 70's famous Jazz bass slap tone was usually acheived with a modified (new pre amp, Pick ups, Bad ass bridge). The only true vintage (70 early 80's ) basses that do slap well are Alembics and Musicman Stingrays, If you want to buy a vintage alembic I suggest you talk to your brooker about the financing 3-5000 is the going rate, ( I had one and kinda feel there a one trick pony-but thats for another thread) and even pre Ernie Ball stingrays are going for near Sadowsky prices. My suggestion Under 1000 look at Fender Marcus Millers and Lakland Skylines, in between 1000 to 1500 look at Modulus (used), Mike Lull, Pedula Rapture-thunderbolt, Stingrays, Warwick and I'm sure I'm leaving some out. The best slap basses I've played are the Sadowsky Metro Ash/Maple combos but over 1500 there are a ton of choices.

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound

Sorry Dude I think you are a little mis-informed about when thumpin and poppin started. It was popular in New York City where i'm from and I myself was doin it in 73-74 and I'm nobody!. Marcus Miller even admits he picked it up from cats in the neighborhood (Jamaica Queens NY) where him and I come from. Being an avid Larry Graham fan and seeing him doit in the late 60's (thankyouforlettinmebemicelfagain) while with Sly and then all his work with Graham Central Station. Larry and others played straight up passive basses and Larry started doin it with flatwounds at first, then he changed to rounds. When you talk about true vintage slap style then that's done with a passive bass. Modern slap is done with an active bass. Even Marcus Millers bass wasn't modified until the late 70's early 80's.
    And by the way, badass made the badass I back then and it sat too high on a bass without routing the body for a decent slap tone.

10. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Pyrohr, I know people were slapping before the late 70's , Milt Hinton was doing it on upright before I was born, I'm talking about before it really caught on and started showing up in pop music. And yes I know Larry Grahm is an exception. I also herd Stainly Clarke slapping on a Jazz in the mid 70's, But He will admit He sounded like S**T until he got the Alembics. And when most people talk about The 70's Slap sound that Jazz there listening to was modified. I worked in a Music Store in 78 thru 81 and the big rage was upgrading your instrument with replacement parts. I'm not saying you can't play funk with a stock 70's Jazz but too my ear you can do a lot better then buying vintage Fender if you want to play slap, A lakland Daryl Jones for example has plenty of 70's Fender Vibe without the construction issues. If you want to do Jammison and you've got the bread a 60's is hard to beat, but for Slap I just think there are better values in new basses that were created from the ground up to do it .

11. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Phror, that Candy Apple Jazz in your collection on the Jazz post is gorgous cool stuff!!! I see you have a Marcus too!, What year is that Candy Apple?
    Steve B

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The CAR is actually an FSR special edition from Fender. I was told by Fender only 200 were made for the European market but only 40 went over sea's, 140 stayed stateside. It's a 75R.I. You may see the white and blue basses but those are 70's R.I. basses.
    Again when it comes to the slap sound you must remember that amplifiers also underwent a change in sound and bassist used tubes ,2x15's and 18inch cabs less and less. late 70's early 80's evryone went mod crazy because they could, just like all the active basses everyone jumped on becase now they had more of a choice the Fender, Gibson or Rickenbacker. People wanted to be different. basses today that are active have their own sound when thumped and popped due to a number of factors, faster amps and cabs, The use of tens whether 2x10's or 4x10's and overall more powerful heads. in the 70's if you had 300 watts you were God! If you listen to 70's recording with slap bass and then today's recordings you will notice everyone now probably has fancier chops and you'll hear a lot more electronics. Listen to Graham Central Station, early Slave (yeah thats a jazzbass), Brothers Johnson, Lakeside, New York City Community Chior, Invisible mans band (2nd Ressurection, Stairsteps) T-Connection,
    Side Effect, Jones girls(Keni Burke From Stairsteps on bass), Linda Clifford(Keni on that too) That is only a few groups that employed that style of bass playing in the mid to later 70's

And as Far as Marcus miller
    I grew up with Marcus in Jamaica Queens (Rochdale Village area), I met Him when he was about 14 and going to Music and art H.S.
    He was playing in a R&B funk group that practiced down the block across the street from me. I actaully married the sax player from that groups sister. It was her house he used to practice at. I knew then he was going to make it back then, he was going about bassplaying the right way back then!

13. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Great Stuff, I think one thing thats often forgotten in our search for vintage sound or in our comparison of basses is how much better our amps and cabinets are! My first good amp was a Sunn Concert (S/S) with two 1X15 JBL cabs, that was cool, you could actualy hear the bass with stack of marshalls blaring on the stage. I think Hartke was what really changed the standred, I bought the second Hartke (guild) 4X10 in Detroit after hearing Jaco with one (Bootsy got the first one!), now there is tons of gear out there that sounds as good or better!!. I had a love/hate relationship with Fenders in the 70's and I think part of the reason is because the amps just couldn't produce what the bass was capable of. Back then you had to blow the wad on an Alembic to get a good high fi sound, now just about anything reasonable that I plug in to my U5 in front of my Eden Rig sounds good. And I think when were giving advice on Basses we better look at what there gonna play thru. All that being said, I broke down and brought a Metro this year and I'm in heaven.

14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses

+1. If I could slap worth a darn, and I wanted a vintage bass that had IMO one of the all-time best slap tones, my choice would be a pre-EB MusicMan StingRay.

The current EB/MM StingRays sound great too.

-Art