1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best vintage P/J pickup set?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ElBajista, Apr 29, 2006.

1. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Since I was bitten by the vintage vibe of the Fralin P pickup in my old Lakland Glaub, I want to drop a set of "vintage" P/J pickups in my SX. The Fralin set is around $200, and I'm not sure if the J pickup is humcancelling or not.

I know that I'll have to route for the P pickup, and I plan on installing it in the "reverse P" style, with the D and G half closer to the neck rather than the bridge. This calls for a new pickguard as well.

Basically, I'm looking for a good set of "vintage" P/J pickups, preferably with the J pickup being a humcancelling pickup. I can't really drop $200 on a set of pickups right now, so does anyone know of any cheaper set with a great vintage vibe?

2. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    anyone?

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    First of all, I think the Fralin J in the P/J set is the hum-canceling Split Jazz, which is an excellent pickup. I have a set in my J. For less dough, I'd go with Seymour Duncan, SPB-1 for P-bass, and Classic Stack for the J.

4. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I'm also looking for a PJ set. I'm honestly not sure what I'm looking for (as far as vintage or no), but I'm just looking for something solid and wide ranging in possible sounds. I've been looking at the Fralin, but the nordstrands also catch my eye. I initially thought the Dimarzio's would be nice, but it seems most people say their too growly and uncontrollable. Bartolini's are too dark for what I need (I have their J's in my MIM Jazz which I like, but not for this new project). Anyway, this was a long post to say I can't help you, but I'm also interested in replies :smug:

5. Nordstrands are very good from the sound clips I listened to once. However, when I went to buy some new pickups the Nordstrands were out of stock so I went with Fralin Split Coils. Very low noise and good tone.

6. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I have the Lindy Fralin P/J sets with the split "J" in two of my basses and I've been extremely pleased with the tone! Warm bottom and sweet top.

George

7. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    That's the same experience I had with the Fralin P. I guess I'm going to just save up for the P/J set. I know it'll be worth the wait.

P.S. See my classified ads to supports the "Fralin Pickup Fund!"