Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best vintage sounding P/J replacement pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jan 18, 2005.

1. I want to get an SX P/J and replace the pickups with better ones. What would be a really good sounding set of replacement pickups with a vintage or normal P-Bass/Jazz Bass sound?

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey, I'll assume you don't want to spend over two hundred bucks for pickups to use in a bass costing less than that.

I think you would be happy with a DiMarzio P/J set. DiMarzio's IMHO have a good clean tone, great clarity, and good output.

To get even more out of those pickups, email DiMarzio for a wiring diagram, showing how you can hook those up to push/pull volume pots. This will allow for series/parallel operation of your pickups. This will give you a lot of tonal options, for not a ton of money.

Get all the parts you need from Brian at www.bestbassgear.com Excellent service and prices.

I would also suggest a good tone pot too. You should be golden with that setup. :hyper:

3. I was thinking about that setup, but I heard that the Dimarzio's are fairly aggressive sounding. I want something that will make an SX P/J sound like a Fender P/J (if that's possible). Will the Dimarzio's do this?

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    My experince is with the Model J, and Ultrajazz pickups (however, my old '75 Pbass had two DiMarzio Pbass P/U's in it-sweet sounding I thought at the time)

Anyway, IME the DiMarzio's are pretty high output. But I feel they can come pretty close to a vintage sound. The reason I recommended those with push/pull pots, is because it gives you a lot of tonal flexibility.

Now, whether thats important or not, depends on what you really want. Do you want only a vintage sound, or the ability to do anything?

Also, what kind of strings are you using? My DiMarzio equipped basses now have rounds, although my fretted jazz still wore TI jazz flats when I had the pickups changed. Incidentally, I will be switching back to TI's, as I like the sound, and feel of those. With the TI's it sounded great IMHO.

Also, what kind of amp do you use, and what are the settings? This can play an important role too.

If not DiMarzio's, probably Vintage series from Basslines, or Fender '62 pickups would work.