Best Viola Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tage, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Tage

Sep 17, 2003
    I was wondering what the best Viola bass I could get for under $800CA/$600US is. A genuine beatle bass is a little beyond my price range right now :D
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ummm, maybe a Univox? Maybe there's a lower end Hofner for a reasonable price.
  3. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Yea - my Eastwood for $225!! Pix if you want them

Great Beatle bass copy - natural. I'm no longer doing the Beatles gig so it's available.

Before the Moderator moves this to the FOR SALE section, I would suggest trying to find a Dillion or Tokai. THey are more money but pretty good.

Good luck.
  4. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I own a '65 Hofner but have been told by a local dealer that the Epiphone Violin bass is as good as of even a little better than the Hofner. All the Epi's that I've seen did look pretty good and are in your pricerange.
  5. DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Look at Jay Turser. I have a real Hofner, but these aren't too bad...esp for the $
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I've never heard a good thing about Jay Turser instruments. Ever.
  7. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I played an SG copy that sounded better than a gibson. Maybe it was a bad gibson, or a really great jay turser. I a/b'ed them on the same amp, same settings, and it just sounded better.
  8. MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    turner model 1 featherweight ..... floating bucker w/single coil cut, peizo and rick's monster eq .. giant .. just a tad more jack but worth it ..
  9. DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    try a turser, you might be surprised
    the hofner copy I played wasn't bad at all, a little heavier than my real hofner....

Not the best, but for the money not too bad either
    I don't think real Hofners are worth the price either
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Well, it was a Gibson. And a newer one to boot...their QC is comparable to the MIM Fenders :spit: .