1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best volume pedal for a jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vision, Sep 29, 2008.

1. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    I'm really ignorant when it comes to effects, so please forgive me if I'm rehashing an old question. My jazz bass has a vol/vol setup, and i would like to get a volume pedal to use as a master volume (and maybe some Anthony Jackson type swells). I've done some searching and found that the Boss FV-500H is highly recommended - would it work well as a master volume pedal for my jazz? Would a volume pedal be safe to add to my signal chain without adding noise?

For reference, I play a Celinder J-Update 5.

thanks!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    A passive volume pedal in good condition (clean pot) will not add any noise. The Ernie Ball vol. pedals are well-liked around here for their sheer ruggedness, and EB makes two models- one ideal for active basses, and the other ideal for passives (both pedals are themselves passive).

3. I agree with Bongo I have an Ernie Ball Junior on my board and play primarily Jazz basses through it. Quiet and smooth...

4. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I've had nothing but good performance from my Visual Sound volume pedal. It's the original and not the re-issue, but I doubt that would make much difference.

I primarily use a Jazz bass too :)

5. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    Go with Bongo :) And if it comes to that, you can use it even with a Precision Bass. Now, that is just WOW!

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    The "junior" even works with my ashbory!!
    Hhoorraayy!!!:hyper: