Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best wah pedal out there?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by UtBDan, Nov 5, 2004.

1. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    I'm interested in getting a wah pedal for Christmas, but I don't know which to get. I was looking at a Cry Baby and some other one that had both traditional and funk wah; I'd appreciate an explanation of the difference between traditional and funk wah and what's the best for each kind? Thanks in advance.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    the "funk wah" you speak of is an autowah. Which basically does the wahing for you. You can use a traditional wah in funk, nothing is written in stone.

An example: Flea uses an autowah
    Cliff Burton used a wah

Two very recognizable bassists.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The one you were looking at with the switchable normal/funk wah is the Morley PBA-2 Dual Bass Wah. I've got it, and it's a great pedal. But be sure you give that and the Crybaby a try, they're very polar opposites. I can't stand Dunlops, but love Morleys, and many of my friends are the opposite, can't stand Morleys and dig the Dunlops.

Give every wah you can find a try.

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I've never personally tried it, but I've heard the Snarling Dogs wah is pretty good. I like the Dunlop Crybaby 105Q. It's a great pedal.

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

5. alanwolf

alanwolf

Sep 22, 2004
    I'd highly recommend Teese wahs. I have the RMC-3 which is totally tunable; you can pretty much get it to sound like any wah, with suggested settings for bass, SRV, Hendrix, etc. I think Geoffrey makes 4 or 5 different models, all based on his many years of repairing and modifying the original VOX wahs. All models are true bypass, and use solid parts and construction.

I did surf recently to the Godlyke web site, and noticed a German made bass-specific wah. Don't know anything about them though. I have a modded Crybaby (not the bass model) that was always (even after the mods) a piece of junk.

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    +1

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    My usual vote for the Boss V-Wah :)

8. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I had a crybaby for so long I wore it out, then I got a morley, then I sold the morley and haven't used a wah in awhile. But I will be buying another crybaby sometime in the future :)

Troll

9. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I just bought a vintage Morely Power Wah Boost- I recommend it. When compared to the Dunlops, the "Wah effect" is much more pronounced.

This is also the pedal that Cliff Burton and Jason Newstead of Metallia used. Built like a tank. It is also huge.

The thing I like though is that it is very expressive. I find myself not always cranking it to the "toe down" position to get a usable effect.

It has an "off" switch for the wah that when it is engaged, becomes a volume/expression pedal.

Also, a built in boost.

The downside is that this pedal hasn't been made since 1983.
    Ted

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They CAN be found readily on eBay. My biggest complaint is the power cord. Takes up room on the board.

11. bassmatik

bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    i had the chance to try one of them. really nice wah and lots of tonal options. it is expensive, though.
    :scowl:

12. boogiedown

boogiedown

Nov 1, 2004
    I have owned both of the wahs you were looking at and i would have to say i like the crybaby a lot better. The switchable funk mode on the morely was cool but the dunlop i have does the same thing but with a knob so you can dial in just how much wah you want. I also like the looks on my dunlop, its white, all my guitar player friends are jealous because their wahs only come in black.

13. Big_d

Big_d

Aug 31, 2004
    i have a morley and its not to bad does have some trouble cutting through my big muffs signal tho. but only if i have the wah pluged in first if i have my distortion first its not to bad but i wanna find a power wah boost or somthing that has a little more sweep than my wah

14. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    This thing? http://www.godlyke.com/product.asp?item=104
    I've wanted one of these for a long time... With great vengeance and furious anger. If they weren't three hundred dollars. :scowl:

15. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Morley Mark Tremonti Wah is awesome for bass. No switching like those Dunlops, No pots to wear out and its adjustable sweep is great for bass.