Best warm sounding bass for recording? P vs J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Simon Nyberg, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    Probably. Sometimes it's hard to follow your gut feeling as well though...

2. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    That's definitely needed to be 100% sure of what bass I should get.

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

ha! sorry --- i was going for a laugh (referencing a few other current threads) and it wasn't funny to anyone but me!

FWIW: i feel very strongly (recording background) that a model/brand is not important. however, pickup choice, and to a lesser extent string choice, can modify the signal going into the recorder, but the actual "sub" bass that you reference will be possible once you 'manipulate' the recorded track. if your EMG pickups are active (active tone control) = you're already there! i think you already have the right tools.

but it sounds like you aren't getting the effect you want with what you have --- and it also sounds like you just want a new ax! in any case: a P or a J can deliver tracks which can be manipulated (EQ/plugins) to almost any sound, i.e., the real work is in your DAW, not the so much the choice of bass instrument!

that's my take --- having done this a lot! --- i hope you find the ax you want and the sound you are searching for! good luck! :thumbsup:

4. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    A Jazz bass does.

The sound that you’re after is really more due to processing (EQ and compression) than what kind of bass you use though.

5. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Gold Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    First let me say welcome to the forum. Now for basses, I've owned many different brands and styles but always come back to the jazz. It's got plenty of tonal variation in it's stock form, or you can add a series/parallel switch for even more variety. Since you're mostly interested in recording you may want to consider noiseless pick ups.
    Good luck with your search.
    B.

6. Chipit

Chipit

Dec 7, 2011
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    The best warm sounding bass for recording for me would be a Jazz Deluxe. Lately our band has been "rehearsing" by using Bandlab, so I have essentially been recording every day for the last 3 weeks. My observation was that without using any plug-ins, my Jazz in active mode brought that deep, fat sound we needed and the P sounded thinner. Both basses use GHS Pressure wounds. I did manage to get a nice fat tone with my P, but I had to use an 80's funk plug-in to get close to the same sound that I got with my Jazz without any plug-ins. I still like my P better for live sound. I know, its weird.

7. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Truth is, we don't see that many of them in the US either. Maybe someone has said this, but I would go for PJ, really gives you the best of both worlds.

Simon Nyberg likes this.
  8. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    A Jazz bass with Dimarzio model J pickups is what I'd suggest: you can solo the neck pickup without hum (the model J's are about the most P like J pickups there are), so that gets you a P-ish sound, and when you add the bridge, you have a decent J. You can also solo the bridge pickup for some Jaco burp, again without hum.

Simon Nyberg likes this.
  9. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    That's alright, sometimes the languages is a reason for misunderstandings as well...

Yeah. I understand that. And you're right, my bass is definitely not at bad one. It just feels cheap and I want to get a long scale. Thanks though for your reply. I guess it's kinda important to realize a good producer should be able to manipulate sounds to his/her liking, I'm working on that too!

JRA likes this.
  10. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    Thanks! I'll make sure to look for noiseless pickups!

11. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    I've seen that bass. It seems like a nice instrument! Thanks!

12. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    I'll check that out!

13. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY

14. Any Sire V7, V9 or V10 will fit perfectly according your budget

15. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    If I needed to choose between a P & J it would be a P. The J is more versatile but the P is probably the most “recorded” bass in history and that has a lot to do with it’s ability to “cut-through” the mix and not get buried.

That being said if your looking for deep sound, in my opinion you’d be much better served finding a bass with humbucker pickups and perhaps active electronics with a low end boost. Just don’t limit yourself to a P or J.

16. a bass guitar,P, J or anything else, will never really produce solid subs like a synth or organ. if subs are what you are looking for then look into an octave down pedal. a lot of bass players seem to really overestimate how low bass guitar actually sits in the spectrum.

Need Gigs likes this.
  17. Two tips:

- Look into Sire basses. My students showed me three of their Sire jazzbasses lately, all are great, versatile, modern sounding. And cheap. I'm playing '77 Fender Jazz mostly, and I feel that the sound character and playability is quite comparable between Sire and old Fender. (But not between old Fender and new Fender that can be had for reasonable price, IMO.) There surely are more brands like Sire, good but not expensive, but I don't know them.

- Go for a jazz bass. If you turn the bridge pickup off, you get the sound similar to oldest P, the kind of bass Sting plays. The P-bass fashion has merit, but you can get to it later. First, learn to control as many sounds as you can. Jazz bass has many real sound choices. P-bass sounds great, or it doesn't, and you can't do much about it.

18. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    "subby" to me sounds like a J Bass.

19. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    You’re not going to get a consensus here. You’re going to get some who say P, others who swear by a J. And then a few who will say X. You’re going to have to do some homework. listen to recordings of bass tones you like and try to figure out the rig they used. Only thing for certain, if it’s slapping, or popping, it’s probably a J.

20. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    The OP asked about Precision vs. Jazz.
    Keeping this simple, I would say "Jazz."

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021