Best warm sounding bass for recording? P vs J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Simon Nyberg, Apr 8, 2020.

1. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby G&L Fanboy Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    I have a P and a J and the G&L L2000 that others recommend. The G&L is the most versatile but you said not available where you live. The J fits the subby and smooth sound you are looking for better than the P.

2. I would suggest either a Sire V7 or a Yamaha BB734. Both offer active/passive switching but having owned both, I would go for the Yam due to it having an excellent P pickup and the option of the J pickup if you need it. The build quality of the Yamaha is superb as well.

But it is a bit more expensive than the Sire so if budget is important, the Sire wins! Good luck!

3. jonners98

jonners98

Apr 23, 2013
    England, UK
    If you're really after a sub-bass type sound, try and get hold of an octave pedal (Boss OC-2 or 3 are my favs) and solo the octave down. Even when playing higher up the neck (to maintain the same pitch as usual) there's a very synth-like quality that sounds almost like a sine wave.

In terms of basses, I'd recommend something with humbuckers with the tone/treble rolled back. G&L's are superb.

4. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    That post you replied to from our pal David Jayne also sounded about right to me. I have a P/J that can make a decent tone in a live setting - decent in terms of having plenty of mids. It's generally pretty easy to hear it among everything else, especially compared with a couple of Jazz basses I've used through the years.

But that P/J can sound more raw and aggressive than I might prefer, especially when I'm practicing on my own - and especially when I solo the P pickup. The Jazz tone can be big and round with that inherent "mid-scoop" that often comes from a Jazz with both pickups turned all the way up.

The modern, smooth, round sound you seem to be describing is more what I think of as a Jazz tone. My P/J can sound more smooth with just a little bit of the J pickup blended in with the P pickup, but it doesn't make a tone that's as round and deep as my Jazz - at least for my ears.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I have a few J-basses, a G&L SB-2, and a G&L M-2500 as my dual-humbucker beast that has lots of sonic overlap with the L-2000/2500. I've owned a few P-basses too. I agree the dual-humbucker G&Ls are incredibly versatile, and also that a J-bass is more likely to achieve your goals than a P-bass.

I mostly use noiseless pickups in J-basses, and based on what I've read about them, you might like DiMarzio's Ultra Jazz for a good noiseless set with deep, smooth lows: Ultra Jazz™ Pair | DiMarzio

6. gelinas666

gelinas666 Guest

Sep 8, 2009
    Warm is about your settings and technique IMO.. Lower the Volume and set back the Tone Control on a P Bass.. Lean towards the Neck Pickup by lowering your Bridge Volume and set back the Tone Control also.. Also try a "Lighter"touch with your fingers or Plectrum..:bassist::thumbsup:

7. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    based on your comment about a really deep tight bass sound, I'd say something like a Stingray. That's what they're best known for. check out the irmore budget range, or have a look at Lakland 44-02/55-02 series; if you're in Sweden, Sandberg should be easily avaliable too. G&L is also a good shout. Go to a music shop and try out different pickup configurations. Ignore the price: you're not looking to buy, just to find out what sort of pickup/electronics combination is closest to what you're looking for. I suspect it's either a Jazz rear pickup with the bass boosted, or a MusicMan humbucker sound that you're looking for.

Peace,
    SoundSupport

Simon Nyberg likes this.
  8. FishDub

FishDub Stuck in the 80s and happy about it Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    When you say "slick" are you referring to "slice?"...If that's the case, then the J for sure

9. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Degen from Up-Country

Apr 3, 2018
    Of the options you listed, the J does seem to be the thing. I do agree with those suggesting a dual humbucker instrument, though. They do seem to have some difficulty properly spelling “Gibson Thunderbird” (there is no L, or + in it!), but I still agree with the gist of their advice. :p

10. Simon Nyberg

Simon Nyberg

Mar 30, 2020
    Sweden
    Wow I never expected this many answers! I can't answer everyone individually but I still want to say thank you to all of you! I have tons of options to look into.
    After posting this I actually played my friend's cheap stingray. And as some of you suggested I think the humbucker tone could be what I'm looking for.
    What options do you think would be great around 1000$ (+/- 200$)? Is the more expensive sterling by musicman basses any good? Also, have anyone tried out the G&L tribute kiloton bass? What's your opinions?

11. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Honestly I think if you are after low deep bass a bass with a mudbucker will serve you far better than any P or J bass, unfortunately there are not many basses around with mudbuckers, the Gibson SG that is around nowadays has a pickup that is different to their original mudbucker design, that being said it will still go deeper than either a P or J bass and you can always order an Artec mudbucker and swap the pickup for that if you need a deeper tone.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021