Best Warwick bass with Ampeg

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassampegman, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Im looking for a used Warwick bass to use as a backup bass to my Musicman Stingray. I play through an Ampeg SVTCL head and want a punchy yet deep sound, a bit growly as well if possible.

The rockbass range from Warwick are not made by Warwick i guess they are rubbish ??

Which 4 string model, dont mind passive pickups, not familiar with the range any help please.

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    You can never go wrong with a 4 string Thumb :).
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Rockbass are made by warwick, just with less quality and in a different factory... i still consider them rubbish though.

I would go with a standard corvette. I believe it is the most versatile of the warwicks, and would make the best back up bass. It is not as expensive as a thumb, and i think it is less of an acquired taste as the thumb as well.
  4. Please be very concern with the suround environment when store a standard Thumb bass.
    When you are in a tropical claimate it will quickly damage the burbiga and ovankoa woods due to its oil finishing. One more thing is the weakness of tiny single action thrust rod that you have to be very careful when you do the tension. Do it slow and gentel at a time.
    The sound of Thumb is acceptable to your requirement but others may as well like the Yamaha TRB PII or Ibanez SR 3004 (the neck is very similar to Thumb, small).
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The thumb neck isnt small! (?) :confused:
  6. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    You also might love a Corvette FNA Jazzman, I would think your needs perfectly describe the sound of mine.
  7. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8

I've been gas'ing for a FNA Jazzman for a long time now :(
  8. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    They're well worth the money man, best bass I've ever played in my life.
  9. Put a thumb neck next to a P bass. It's little.
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I still dissagree. .. Are you comparing nut width or the overall profile of the neck, because the thumb neck is quite a bit larger front to back than a p bass, the last i checked.
  11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Used Streamer LX 4 banger bolt-on, all wenge neck, maple body, P/J configuration. Very light and well-balanced. I see them on the 'bay for $550 - $750.
  12. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I played a Thumb four through my SVT-CL and it was mean.
    A dark evil tone. Not my cup of tea but I still can remember the tone of that set up. FYI, the strings were RotoSounds.
  13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I like the Spector they make the best I think. If I was looking for a MM back up that was similar but different, I'd grab a G&L L-2000... punchy, deep, growl in spades :bassist:
  14. Look for a Fortress Flashback for a retro passive sound, Warwick flavor.
  15. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA

I've actually used a Warwick Corvette Standard as my main bass for years. It really is a great bass for the money, very solid. I found the passive pickups very useful, just need a good shielding job. The only thing, a Stingray and a Corvette Standard are very different animals when compared tone for tone. It's all in the pickup types and placement. So if your looking for a similar sounding backup bass then this is something to consider.
  16. Back up bass? Shouldn;t the Musicman be back up to the warwick? Especially if you get a thumb thru neck or something along those lines. :p
  17. I'd disagree that Rockbasses are rubbish...

Are they made in Germany? Nope.

Are they made by Warwick? Yep.

Are they as nice as a German Warwick? Nope.

....but are they Rubbish? Nope :D

I have a Warwick Rockbass Corvette 4 string. It's a very nice bass :bassist: with lovely tone.

It has an alder body, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard - not as exotic as the German Corvette, but nice nonetheless.

Pickups are German MEC pickups - same as the German Warwick.

Rest of the hardware is very nice too. A German "Just a Nut", very stable machines stamped Warwick, Germany - and a nice solid and stable bridge. The control cavity is well sheilded with conductive paint and foil on the cavity cover, and as such it's nice and quiet (although I might add I did have a pot problem, which was quickly fixed).

Fit and finish of my Rockbass is flawless, craftsmanship is absolutely first rate :)

Don't let their country of origin fool you :eek: The Rockbass is a quality product.

Sure, as I said - I'm not kidding myself, it's not as nice as a German Corvette, but it represents outstanding value for money as an affordable, quality, great sounding bass which is far from "rubbish".

18. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Warwick-wise I'd get a Streamer.... but then if I was gonna get one of those I might as well dump Warwick and get the 'original' - a Spector and be done with it! :smug: :p :bassist:
  19. Look, we know warwick stole the NS design off Spector, but it is actually slightly different. Anyway, they are 2 completely different basses.