Best Warwick for jazz...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrsham, May 6, 2003.

1. mrsham

mrsham Guest

May 6, 2003
    I am lookin towards a new bass. I primarily play jazz, but would like something that has decent versatility. I am not talking about playing rock or country, but different jazz sounds venturing into funk. I would like to have something with decent spacing for a little slap. I really like the look of the Thumb bolt on, and I am going to try out a bunch this weekend. Any other warwicks I should take a look at. Any other brands? I already know fender american jazz is a decent choice for what i want.

2. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I think almost any of them would be decent for Jazz. The Thumb may be a bit growly for Jazz. Though with EQ and such you could probably get a great sound.
  3. get a fender jazz geddy lee. You won't be dissapointed!
  4. Hmm....ever try a SSII with flatwounds???

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

yup. i used a thumb nt5 for a long time on jazz gigs, and until i became a snob and decided i'd never play jazz gigs on electric, i really liked it. i think my ss2's slightly more polite tone works a little better, but i can't think of a warwick that wouldn't sound good.

even the vampyre would probably SOUND good, but i can't imagine you getting a call back after showing up with one :ninja:
  7. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Ugh... I can't see why anyone would even purchase one...
  8. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    BC Rich fans!

Curioulsy over here in the UK, the Warwick distributer (MAD) is also the BC Rich distributer. Is there some influences going on here?
  9. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    thats actually pretty funny...notes is notes, man
  10. Lakland 5494/5594 or 5402/5502 (4 string and 5 string).
  11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    If string spacing is an issue, Warwicks are rather tight. They're one of the narrowest that I have played, and when I play my Dolphin after playing another bass, it takes a little while to get used too it again.
    I think the Dolphin Pro might be a good jazz choice. Pretty smooth in sound, and doesn't have as much midrange honk as some Warwicks have. As far as versitlity, Stage I and II's will certainly do the trick. Actually, the Stage I has a wide string spacing and is really good at jazz and slap sounds. The last one, if you can find it, that would be a great choice would be an Infinity. I was really impressed with the Infinity's sound, and it was the most differrent sounding Warwick because it was semi-hollow. I really like the sound of Thumbs NT's, but I think their sound is somewhat one-dimensional. It's pretty much going to always have that notorius midrange sound no matter how you tweek with it. I know most people either love or hate Thumbs. Thumb BO's are awsome basses. I've actually found a few that I preferred over the NT's. Plus they have the wide-neck option. Good luck in your search.
  12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    dude, you got a musicman stingray 5... they are so jazzy.

On a more serious note...

Any warwick should to just fine. I find them all to be quite bright and punchy, and that is what you want in jazz.
  13. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I think you should consider the Infinity series, they have a hollow ovangkol body with a maple top. It's like playing an acoustic bass with more sustain and clarity.