Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best warwick fretless config?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Apr 22, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    does anyone have any idea as to what the best warwick 5string fretless wood/pickup combination would be?

for fretlesses i've only played one warwick - a dolphin 4 string that totally blew my mind. i know i'd like almost anything, but since i probably won't get to play it before i buy it i'd like to get some ideas.

i've heard that bolt on, ebony fingerboard, ash body with a harder top such as maple or bubinga is the best choice for fretless. anyone agree or disagree? warwick now offers ash bodies with exotic tops on their bolt ons, so that would be a possibility. is one pickup really better for fretless tone? they offer piezos too - so would a streamer or corvette FNA with a bart pickup (i don't like the polepieces on the MEC pickup) with a piezo bridge be the "Ultimate?"

or do i get a fretless SSII and call it a day?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Jason-I bought my Thumb BO (bubinga and wenge) cos I liked it. As you know I changed the pups etc. I dont know if the body woods make a difference but I know what I like. Personally; if the ash top looks good, get it.

3. Seems to me that if you're completely decided on Warwick that a used SSII would probably be a good bet. I've got a used Streamer LX-6 fretless with Basslines that sounds great, but the neck is just too big for my (very small) hands and complete lack of good technique.

I picked up a used Zon Sonus Special 5 fretless from a TB member not too long ago, and it's absolutely amazing. The playability is insanely good, and its the best sounding bass I have ever heard. It's kind of tough to describe, but it's a bit of a mix between a Warwick and Stingray. It's aggressive, and there's a definite low-mid voicing (due to the bubinga top and the pickups).

Keep up posted on what you decide. You really can't go wrong with a good Warwick fretless either! I would definitely keep mine if I could play it!

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I'm happy with my fretless SS I. Wenge on flame maple.
    Doc